Orchids

Gorgeous images.

Thank you for the info. Recently got the Tamron 90mm. Love the lens, but impossible to take shots like this without some sort of stabilization. Anything within driving distance doesn't allow tripods. One place has no rule on monopods. Making time to get there is another story. There are a couple of great outdoor public Arboretums. No rules. Been to one before this lens. Plan to go back this summer, but then there is wind to deal with.

Never heard of any private access events. Definitely look into that. Just joined a local club. Maybe they have some clout.
The Chicago Botanic Garden doesn't allow tripods inside the greenhouse area where these orchids were housed, but it does allow tripods on the rest of the grounds.

Glenn
They allow tripods on specific days before they open to public. I had a yearly membership last year, they have a bunch of member only events. Although if you ever plan on selling any photos from there they require a $150 permit! I think that mostly pertains to photo shoots though.

I've wondered about that here at the Botanical Gardens in Columbia, SC. I've never actually asked to see who that $150 fee applies to, but they make it sound like if you created anything that you were then going to try to sell, you'd owe them that money. That caused me to take them off the list of possible locations I'd like to explore for subjects. No way I'm doing that. I don't sell enough to EVER justify something like that - and I'm not sure who could. Beyond that, it's ridiculous. Unless the subject was some gorgeous plant/flower that can only be found on their grounds (and no other place in the world), how could they possibly make that request? IF it is for weddings or portfolio shoots where the process could be disruptive in some way, I get it, but suggesting that a photographer couldn't set up a tripod and create a couple of images without first paying that kind of money??

Most reactions

Back