Orion Nebula and Pleiades

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night had some wonderfully clear skies. It was a bit chilly, but not unbearable. While I waited for the Orion constellation to rise (which was my primary target for the night), I spent some time imaging the Pleiades cluster again. This time I was able to spend a lot more time on it, so I got more fine detail in the nebulocoty.

The Orion Nebula, which us actually flanked by the smaller Running Man Nebula on the left, is a great beginner target because it's so bright and easy to find.

Both shot using my Nikon D500 and 200-500 lens at 500mm, f/5.6. The sub exposures were guided. Images calibrated with darks, flats, and bias frames. Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and processed in PS.

Pleiades
315 second sub exposures @ ISO 400
1hr 24min total exposure time
FB_IMG_1605171004585.jpg

Orion and Running Man Nebulae
120 sec sub exposures @ ISO 400
35min total exposures time
I also blended in a short 2 min exposure of the core of the Nebula because it is too bright and gets blown out easily.
FB_IMG_1605170996599.jpg

My rig for the night
20201111_203104.jpg

That set up looks like a patient in an ER !
Great shots as always!
I have so many photography goals and night/stars are on the list. Thanks for that.
Do you ever get the neighborhood kids interested in star watching?

That set up looks like a patient in an ER !
Great shots as always!
I have so many photography goals and night/stars are on the list. Thanks for that.
Do you ever get the neighborhood kids interested in star watching?
Thanks! And you're welcome for inspiring you in yet another rabbit hole of photography!

A few times when I've had my telescope set up for visual astronomy, some neighbors have had a peep. Unfortunately, most of it takes place after the rest of the waking world is in bed. I did set it up for my nephews and some of their friends a couple weeks ago. They really enjoyed seeing the planets, especially Saturn. My local astronomy club does outreach events that help inspire others. I still remember my first time seeing Jupiter and its moons when I was a kid. My dad had set up a small telescope for us. That one time has kept me looking up my whole life.

Saw Saturn from the observatory on the roof of the Maui Hyatt. That was my first time using a really powerful telescope. It was amazing! So glad you post these as I really enjoy them.

@NancyMoranG you are in Utah still? Get out there at night ASAP. Milky Way core is it visible right now but there is still a lot t see. Check out lonelyspeck website for a really easy to understand how to.

Saw Saturn from the observatory on the roof of the Maui Hyatt. That was my first time using a really powerful telescope. It was amazing! So glad you post these as I really enjoy them.

@NancyMoranG you are in Utah still? Get out there at night ASAP. Milky Way core is it visible right now but there is still a lot t see. Check out lonelyspeck website for a really easy to understand how to.
Glad you enjoy them! Utah would be a great place. When you look at light polutiin maps, the whole central US is so much darker than the rest.

Impressive! Both the images and the gear!

Most reactions

Back