Ospreys

Woodsman

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Handleld at a distance and blurry. I was just happy to get them both on the branch together.

I find I am not as steady as I used to be for these handheld shots and I am having a difficult time with the focus too. I am never happy with the auto focus of the cameras (both low end entry level DSLR's with entry level lenses) and find manual focus does not do well for distance shots like this. The eyes are not what they used to be or the view through the digital view finders are misleading me compared to the SLR's I had back in the 70's.

But heck, I do enjoy it.

Ospreys Above Nest 01 20130818 by Woody Woodsman, on Flickr

Ospreys Above Nest 02 20130818 by Woody Woodsman, on Flickr

I think its a good shot.

If I may ask, why did you shoot this at F11? You could have shot it at 5.6 or even 7, upped the shutter speed and cut the shakiness out of it. On a T3 your crop factor would put your shot at the equivalent 350mm(roughly) at the focal length you were at. Which would mean shooting handheld, you should be up over a 400 shutter speed to freeze the frame rather than the 250 you were at. Unless there is something I am not understanding or overlooking.

Yep, that was a mistake and I recognized it when the opportunity was over. I semi noticed the slow shutter speed during the shoot but was overly excited about them both being near the nest and I failed to address it. I have just started shooting in manual to learn it and did not give it the attention it deserves. I was spending too much time worrying about focus and didnt address the manual mode issues. I guess thats what learning is all about and this was definitely a good learning experience, missing better shots because of lack of attention to the process.

I also need to get closer because I believe this lower end Canon EFS 55-250mm IS II F4.0 lens loses sharpness at the higher end and drops off badly at full zoom

Heres the fastest shutter of the day, not great at F9 and 1/320 @250mm.

IMG_4182a by Woody Woodsman, on Flickr

Yeah, I find myself missing things like this. I spent most of the day yesterday shooting at 1000 iso... in broad daylight... I couldnt figure out why I had to keep the shutter speed at 1/8000th. :) I am glad I figured it out though, the day wasn't a total waste.

Most reactions

Back