Out collecting rocks with my youngest

SashaT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got the chance to get out and go collecting with my youngest son today. It was quite an interesting trip with a variety of different types of scenery and weather. The day started out a little later than I would have liked, by the time we arrived at the turn out, temps in the valley were already in the mid-80s. The scenery down at this elevation was the typical Idaho desert looking terrain.

_D714666_zpsax8q5zj2.jpg

_D714669_zpsbzanehzk.jpg

_D714676_zpsnyjywvlc.jpg

_D714688_zps0j80vuwp.jpg

As we drove further, the desert landscape gave way to a nice looking forest and the air teps began to drop off rapidly as we gained elevation.

_D714690_zpsshcfxq3k.jpg

_D714693_zpsikpfumte.jpg

Our destination this trip took us well above 7000 feet, at this elevation the air temps were nice and in the mid-50s, there was even a little snow on the ground still.

_D714694_zpsayvzfrie.jpg

We got out and began looking around, almost immediately, we were finding quartz crystals.

_D714698_zpsvm3xiclw.jpg

_D714701_zps4mdo9iim.jpg

We explored the area for quite some time, collecting things as we found them. There was actually quite a bit that we were able to collect.

_D714702_zpsqku2helx.jpg

_D714710_zps7za22who.jpg

_D714742_zpsqkhpnre6.jpg

After a while, we decided that we had found enough. The pack was starting to get heavy so my son asked if I could carry it back to the truck. We both had a great day and were able to collect a lot. As we drove out, I took some more photos of the area.

_D714743_zps2e8odpf5.jpg

_D714752_zpspypnpqfe.jpg

_D714755_zpsvjpsywvw.jpg

Once home I decided to get some more shots of some of the crystals. These photos only represent a small sample of what we collected. I didn’t want to take photos of each item as that would be a lot of photos to process, upload and post on the report. We enjoyed this trip and know we only scratched the surface at this area.

_D714760_zpsx356tk64.jpg

_D714761_zpsswbrwbeq.jpg

_D714762_zpsmeannlng.jpg

_D714767_zpsnuapgafj.jpg

_D714768_zpspoybc5wf.jpg

_D714769_zpssfurbxti.jpg

_D714764_zpsrnznkr30.jpg

_D714771_zpszgxiyokq.jpg

_D714772_zpsotfgl50t.jpg

_D714765_zpsujqk4ppy.jpg

Neat post! I had no idea the elevation change would cause such a steep temp drop at this time of the year. Looks like the two of you had a rockin' good time!

Loved your narrative and it almost felt we were alongside.
Just a Q please:
What edits were done to the pics? The sky looks a wee bit unnatural or is it my eyes? ;)

Loved your narrative and it almost felt we were alongside.
Just a Q please:
What edits were done to the pics? The sky looks a wee bit unnatural or is it my eyes? ;)

Thanks!

Now to answer your question: I did not do a lot in lightroom to them in terms of adding color etc. I will use the first shot as an example as there are quite a few shots and they all have slightly different settings. I am also going to include another unaltered shot (other than converting from RAW), it was taken with the exact same camera settings as the first and all exif is intact. The only difference is that I widened the shot to 17mm where the first is at 34mm. I hadn't thought of the blue sky until you mentioned it. Now that I look at all the pics again, the sky does seem a little extra blue in all of them even the unaltered ones.

Ok here are the lightroom alterations for the first: EXP: +.25, Con:+20, Highlights:0, Shadows:0, Whites:+20, Blacks: -25, Clarity:+15, Vibrance:+15, Point Curve: Medium Contrast, Sharpening: Amount: 40, Radius: 0.8, Detail: 40, Masking: 60, Profile: Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS HMS, Remove Chromatic Aberration box checked and Color Profile is Adobe Standard. Other than that no other alterations were done. The other shots are all similar with differences in the exposure levels, highlights, shadows, whites, blacks, contrast and sharpening. Anyway here is the other unaltered shot, like I mentioned it is the same as the first except it is at 17mm.

_D714667.jpg

Thank you for the detailed. For a moment I feared I'd have hurt you with my comment.
Yes! The sky looks much better in the unedited version.
Rgds,

Great series! Way to rep the 208! I'm from Eagle but temporarily displaced with the Navy. Can't wait to go back!

Thanks everyone!

I am really glad that he is really getting into the outdoor thing. Personally, I love being out in the backcountry weather fishing or just hiking. After this last trip, he also asked me if he could have my old camera so he could also take pictures. I told him that we could look into getting him something that he could use more easily than my old camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back