Out of date film.

Sark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just wondering what is the oldest film (out of date) users have ever used with any success. I've just dug out about a hundred rolls of 120 Tri X dating from the early eighties (25 years old) that I'd forgotten about. I used to buy in bulk in those days and shot a lot of 120. There is also some HP5 and some 35mm stock including some Ektachrome 64 which will almost certainly be useless.
This was all stored when other commitments forced me to sell most of my equipment in the mid eighties. I'd completely forgotten about it until a recent attic clearout. Can't decide whever to fling it, ebay it, or use it (though I no longer have a darkroom).

Sark

I don't know. Stored in an attic? All I can say is try a roll and let us know.:)

I use some Tri-x for my Speed Graphic that expired in 1982. I wouldn't use it for anything really important, but it works for what I need. I'd give a roll or two a shot. Shoot one roll at 200 and one at the rated ASA (320 on that??) to see what happens. Might get something cool. The Ektachrome might be good to cross-process.

I think I would shoot a couple of test rolls and see. The heat from the attic might have damaged it but B&W film really last a long time past exp, dates.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't currently own a 120 camera (or a darkroom), but there are a few rolls of 35mm Tri X that I could give a go and have commercially developed. If it is reasonable quality it might be worth buying a cheap older folding 120 camera to use with the bulk of the 120 Tri X, just for those experimental shots. A 120 dev tank wouldn't cost too much either.

Thanks again for posting

Sark

Can't decide whever to fling it, ebay it, or use it (though I no longer have a darkroom).

Sark

I think the best thing to do would be to send me twenty rolls. I'll do extensive real world testing and get back to you with the results as quick as possible. On second thought, better make it twenty-five.

Most reactions

Back