Out on the streets round the Maritime festival

tim.bennett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A beautiful day in dublin at the maritime festival. Feel free to critique I have lots to learn.

2541549560_a89e658fd6.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 350D Digital
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/14
Focal Length: 70 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV

2540723647_6ff3b036f0.jpg

Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)

2541542506_e1bee688f8.jpg

Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Focal Length: 154 mm

2540716659_1bcae329a4.jpg

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/16
Exposure Bias: -1/3 E

I must say that's a pet peeve of mine.
When people state their theme and there are no photos representing that theme.
Yes there is one of the rigging but you could be at a marina for all we know.

Like when people say " tulip festival" and only have pics of a few people walking or a bar scene and no tulips... just an example.

I agree with booga regading theme... Maritime means ships, boats, tugs, yachts, luggers, schooners, steam and smoke belching from funnels, sails and spinnackers billowing - and tim gives us people, people, people - and a bit of rigging and a ship's bell as a hint...
OK tim - forget theme:
Pic 1 - way too cluttered: who/what/which one is the subject? Is it the flowers? The half-lady with the well-delevoped calf muscles disappearing to camera left? - or maybe her white handbag?: is it the vertically-challenged person (2nd left) playing peekaboo with her pension book behind her back? Is it the sprightly chap (centre) holding his head up straight with the palm of his hand? (Why's he doing that, anyways..?) or the baby-boomer with his back to us sporting his bargain T-shirt? Or maybe it's the Social Security Office building in the background..???
Second: well why did you convert this pic to B&W - what essential tonal contrasts and values are you displaying.. Why / How is is better than the colour version...???
Pic 2 - Lemme guess... the foreground person (OOF) is your Aunt Emm and cousin Patrick is the chap on the other side of the bridge wearing a yellow T-shirt... The bridge looks nice: Go back early one morning when the same bridge is uncrowded and re-shoot - try different angles - try NOT to get the Macadam Crane in the shot (or go take interesting pics of the crane.)
Pic 3 - has something - but is again cluttered. Shot from higher (or lower) to exclude the rails and rope (try cropping the lower rail and rope out)- and including ALL of the ships bell would be approaching a shot - I actually would have looked around to see if I could get a shot of the pregnant lady linking her to the scene... like a pic of her against a BG of full sails... billowing out, so to speak...
Pic 4 - yeah well... can't help the crowds - they did give you some space... It that only his half-dad though..?? -why only half of him is in the pic..?? Couple of steps back by you, or inch your camera to the left would have got the dad and the boy...
Summarising: shots too cluttered - who/what is the subject - try harder with composition - look what ELSE is in the frame before you shoot and move around to exclude the cranes etc... Don't convert pics to B&W for the hell of it... DO move in close(r) to your subject.
Hope you can learn something from all that...
Jedo

I'll keep keep in mind the thread title next time I post.
Thanks Jedo. It's a bank holiday here in Ireland so I will go out again and take all you said on board. And give it another go.

I'll keep keep in mind the thread title next time I post.
Thanks Jedo. It's a bank holiday here in Ireland so I will go out again and take all you said on board. And give it another go.

Post the re-takes, so's we can hang a few garlands round your neck:sexywink:
Jedo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back