Outdoor car show - any suggestions

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm going to an outdoor antique and classic car show this weekend. I have never photographed cars before except inside a very poorly lit, [down right dark] over crowded car museum and I was very disappointed with the end results because there was just no possible way to get a pleasing angle and an uncluttered shot....there was barely room to squeeze between the vehicles in that place. I've looked thru some of the threads here, but most seem to be of a single car on a parking garage roof or a back country road.

I'm assuming that shooting in an open field between 10am and 4pm, I'm going to have lots of reflections to deal with, so I'll be taking the polarizer, but I'm also hoping that I can make good use of some of the reflections too. Since its going to be a crowded venue I will be using the camera handheld and the only lens I presently have is a 50mm. Can anyone with car photograpy experience under these conditions can give me some pointers? :confused: I'm not really sure what I'm asking for exactly, just what types of problems to expect I suppose....anything besides the polarizer that I should take along?

Just shoot a ton and hope for some decent shots. You wont have enough control over the enviroment to really plan in advance. Shoot the cars that no one is around , get low "like lay on the ground" mind your background. no one wants to see vendors, tents, conssesion stands and people in the background. Talk to the owners! perhaps they would like shots of there cars and you can meet them later away from all the commotion and have a photoshoot you have absolute control over. Good luck!

50mm on a DX frame is going to be tough, but hey this is how we learn.
Watch the sun and pick your rows of cars you are shooting so it benefits you.
Pay attention to the polarizer when you go Vertical as you may have to rotate it.
Watch the sun flare, wear a baseball cap or hat that you can hold over the front of the camera to shade it.
Take a flash with you, if you can fire it remotely somehow you may be able to have someone hold it in the interior to light that up during the shot.
If you are close to chrome wear a black shirt. Does not show up that much on the chrome. May be hotter but all depends on you. Having the 50 it may not be a factor as you will be back some.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Use a lens wider than 50mm, something with not alot of distortion.
get close
shoot low
use a polarizer if you can

Enjoy the promo models as much as the cars!

The only thing I like to shoot during a car show is the promo girl or the detail (emblem, brakes, wheel spokes, exhaust tip, nose of the care etc.). Everything else is boring because the background is likely distracting.

Been there, done that, have several t-****s to prove it, and what a huge pain in the ass and long day.

Between 10 and 4 on a summer day is the about the worst light available all year. Unless there is a solid overcast, or the cars are parked under trees to create open shade, don't get your expectations to high.

I highly recommend having a couple of speedlights, plenty of batteries, and at least 1 assistant (though you can often get someone nearby (like the car owner) to hold a light or 2 for you.

You want to be there well before 10 am. Preferably stationed right where the cars will be registering. Better yet is if all the cars have to use the same road, and you can get some good rolling shots preferably with a plain vanilla, not distracting background, as they head for the check in point.

I try to get the majority of my shots done before too many other people get there and start roaming around, and the sun gets to high to be more hinderance than useful.

I make sure I have several hundred business cards with me too.

I would be pre-scouting the site, if at all possible, and looking for a place to set up and shoot selected cars at end of the event too. I use the 10 am to 4 pm hours to talk to car owners and others interested in maybe having some photography done.

I use a backpack for my gear and make sure I have at least 1 monopod strapped to it, but having 2 monopods available is better. (you can put the speedlights on them)

Thank you all for the tips and I've made note of of them. I'm beginning to wonder now though after reading KmH's post, if its even worth bothering to go. I have no choice but to go on Sunday, the last day for the show, because its the only day my husband has off from work. He's a chef and gets home very late Saturday nights, so his getting up before 10am on Sunday isn't going to happen and I know he will want to head home no later than 6pm. Maybe I'll have to settle for just snapshots....:(

Most reactions

Back