Outdoor portrait

OK, the shot is acceptable for a snapshot but there's a ton of room for improvement.

Shooting in natural available light can be tough.

I wouldn't use a reflector AND fill flash in unison, just too complicated for me, I'd use one or the other or nothing. That said your fill flash is apparent and not quite sufficient. Angle and distance of the reflector was insufficient as well. Personally I don't use either when not using my strobes. It's about reading the shadows, subject placement and backgrounds. So what if you have to take 30 frames to get that one shot right?

If you are like me and don't have the liberty of choosing a perfect time of day then you must learn to see the light, or shadows and use them to your advantage. Subject placement in relationship to the light and background are key. I just about NEVER use direct sunlight to illuminate my subjects. ;)

Well, actually it is possible to reduce the shadows around the eyes using photoshop if you happen to have it.

One way to correct in photoshop is to load the original image, use the selection tool and select the shaded areas around the eyes - then copy that to a new layer. You can get really fancy with masks and such, honestly I usually just use the box selection tool and grab everything around the eyes and copy to a new layer.

Switch to the new layer, then use the shadow/highlight tool and reduce the amount of shadows until the eyes and area around it looks about right, if you need too you can then use the eraser tool to get rid of anything you copied around the eye that doesn't quite fit with the original layer because of it's reduced shadow.

Believe it or not I use this method a lot, particularly when shooting gorillas at the zoo. They have such heavy brows and since I can't use a reflector or flash this is a nice little addition to the tool kit.

looks a little harsh, next time move your subject into some shade

Most reactions

New Topics

Back