Outdoor portrait

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please critique. I am not sure if the shadows around the eyes are a good thing. Basically, I want to improve on my natural light portrait skills. I has a reflector but didn't seem to do anything. I fired the onboard flash for a little fill.

426b6ec365ba88fbc4d2b1227efb8bbc.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's not the end of the world because you do have a bit of a catchlight in the eyes, but a reflector wouldn't have hurt.

If the reflector did not improve the light substantially, it simply did not reflect enough of the light, or wasn't aimed correctly. What type of material? Who held the reflector?

If the reflector did not improve the light substantially, it simply did not reflect enough of the light, or wasn't aimed correctly. What type of material? Who held the reflector?
D'ohhh... totally missed the line where you said you used a reflector. Sorry.... did I mention, it's Monday? It can be a challenge to use a reflector and shoot at the same time, but regardless, you didn't get any real value from it.

So the shadows under on the eyes are ok?

I had it on a plant hanger. I tried several positions and couldn't get it to do what I wanted. White and gold side. Sun was in the upper left looking at the photo.

When you're shooting natural light, you'd try to avoid direct sun light. The time of the day, strength and angle of the light all come into play. I'd wait maybe another 2 or 3 hours to take the same photo at the same spot/angle and you'd have a totally different result.

or try and use the reflector as a diffuser since the sun was so bright.

Also, another option is open shades. This was shot yesterday at 1:00pm, full sun, open shade. Most people don't realize it but there's a whole art form shooting natural light :D

D8C_5933.jpg

OP: shooting in the bright harsh sunlight is far from ideal.
Have a silk or a flag to block out the direct sun and you could get a much better shot.
I like the intensity of the guy's expression though.

Also, another option is open shades. This was shot yesterday at 1:00pm, full sun, open shade. Most people don't realize it but there's a whole art form shooting natural light :D

View attachment 122478
Thanks... I kept it at ISO 100... Lol

If you need to shoot in this light you can use a diffuser above the subject head, this cuts down the shadow, also the full flash is more effective also. But as said above, you probably need an assistant to shoot this way

I bought a mannequin head and use it to practice. Keeps me from losing either of the two people that still talk to me. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back