Outdoor's on cloudy days

Lacrossedad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am usually out in the marsh with my camera gear looking for waterfowl. I find that on cloudy days, the pics just don't have any pop and even with some editing, they just don't look good to me. Is there something I am missing or should I just wait for those full sunny days? I use PS/LR and even adding light to the exposure just does cut it. I have also run up my ISO but with trying to capture moving birds, they never look as sharp as I would like. Shutter speed can't go much lower as the movement requires at least 2000 per sec.

Do you shoot in Raw? Overcast days are lower contrast so adding some in post could give you the snap you are looking for. Along with a variety of WB adjustments, saturation, clarity or tonal contrast can also help.

Maybe best to post a unprocessed file and a processed file so we can see how you are achieving your result.

Nope its pretty common to have dull and lack that pop lacking contrast, color on cloudy or rainy days and the higher ISO also will cause image quality to degrade its the nature of the beast.Having said that some of the nicest captures are in the worst weather dull and lack that may lack contrast and colors to pop the only thing you can do is PP to the best of your ability.as a example image while snowing, mixed with rain very cloudy with low visibility by pulling up contrast, black point and some clarity i was able to muster out this but where not talking high ISO here but still was washed out image pretty bad before pp.My camera had water rolling off my jacket and gloves where soaked in seconds FWIW.
Image 2-12-19 at 7.53 PM.jpg

Last edited:
On overcast days you can *fractionally* warm the white balance and it will give the illusion that it was a warmer sunnier day. Just be careful not to over-do it.

Cyclist.jpg
Cyclist (1).jpg

The above was shot on an overcast day (which I actually prefer because I don't get harsh shadows). But notice the 2nd bottom image looks a little cold. The top image was fractionally warmed via white-balance.

Also... make sure any white balance adjustment happens before you touch anything else in the color or saturation levels (including things like vibrance, etc.) otherwise all your color will be a little weird. Warming the white balance often gives the illusion that you boosted saturation. So if your boost saturation or vibrance first, then boost white balance, your saturation & vibrance will probably look over-baked.

Nice Examples Tim.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back