Outer Banks

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are two of the many I got while fishing at the Outer Banks.
2.jpg

The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. I took out some power lines and a tower of some sort. You can see a larger, full quality version vondrehle.deviantart.com

3.jpg

Tell me what you think.

hmm... Well, I think that the colours in the first one are a little washed out. The sky is absolutely beautiful, because the trees are completely black they take away from the photo, maybe if you croped the trees out the main focus would be the light house and the sky.

The second has perfect composition but I've seen too many of these kind of shots. It's too generic, too boring.

Sorry for giving such a "blah" review. :er:

I like the second one best! Simple compositions are the most appealing to me... Dont ever be fooled by the word simple. A simple image is the most difficult to attain and the most pleasing...the only thing i would change about the second image, would be to rotate the horizon counter clockwise making paralell! nice images none the less!

I don't mind that low line of trees in the lighthouse pic at all since it is really narrow and offers a nice frame at the bottom. The muted colours of the sky are quite appealing, too, and I suggest you add this one to our "Lighthouses" collection over in the Photo Themes (nowadays more easily found because of the new Index with hyperlinks at the top of the Themes).

And I do like the composition of the second. To see this and frame this ... may well have been done many times before, but I personally haven't taken a photo like that before, and still wish I came upon such a scene and would then also SEE it and know how to frame it.

Billy is right about the slanted horizon. That would need to be corrected. Easiest thing to do.

Nice simple compo on the lighthouse. Nice glow to the sky and clouds
Would that be the lighthouse on which I saw a documentary about it having to be moved farther inland in order to save it from eventually being inundated?

I'd like to see a bit more contrast in the second and the horizon straightened.
Thanks for sharing:D

Thanks everyone.
The second shot was right in front of the place we were staying. I shot it from the deck. I'll go in and rotate it. It was originally bigger and in color I just cut it down to the 2 fences and converted to black and white.

With the lighthouse I had to take out alot of stuff, I'll post original when I get home. I didn't want to get rid of to alot of the trees but I didn't want to have a skyscape with a lightouse.

JonK that is the one that was moved. I have some pictures of the jetis where it used to be. There is a clearing from one spot to the other from where they rolled it over.

Definetly kep the trees in the first shot, as LaFoto said they act as a nice frame. I will also second what JonK said, the second shot would benifit from a good boost in contrast and a straight horizon.

Most reactions

Back