Outsource my post-production?

Discussion in 'The Aspiring Professionals Forum' started by JacobPhoto, Apr 21, 2016.

1. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    But on the flip side of that coin if your not willing to roast a few heretics at the stake now and again you run the risk of being tossed out of the Keepers of All Secret Photographic Knowledge. They'll take your robe and everything. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Share MY personal experiences?

• Like Like x 1
  3. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, wait.. I thought we had a very clear don't ask, don't tell, for the love of all that is holy don't share video policy on that kind of stuff, right?

4. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The videos would be illegal in most states. :)

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Seems like some rationality does indeed exist here in TPF land...even the OP's gone with his gut feeling, and has on his first outsourced set, had a positive outcome! I honestly think the idea of "doing it ALL" from start to finish is, in many cases, more about hubris than about rational evaluation of one's own talents.Over the years, I've seen work form many,many people that demonstrated good,solid in-camera work, but rather poor- to middlin'-grade post processing work. I've even told a few people,. directly, that their photography craft work, in-the field, is good, but that their post-processing would be better served by being handed off to somebody whop really excels in that realm.

I know a number of fishermen who are VERY good--but their chef skills are very,very weak, so while they're good at catchin', they're not all that hot at cookin' what they have caught. I really think it is unrealistic to think that every single shooter is equally good in post-processing and image optimizing as he or she is behind the camera eyepiece.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    those wealthy photographers outsourcing their post processing work!
    Maybe Scott Kelby was right when he said just get it right in the camera

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

7. paigew

paigew Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have outsourced a few images via retouch.com they do a great job. There are top wedding photos who outsource their editing. Especially for basic edits. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Js06

Js06 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I also outsourced editing of several of my projects. It should be prepared that you will need some time to find understanding with photo editor. I chose WE EDIT PHOTOS ~ Outsourcing photography post processing for this, they are famous and I liked their work, so I was pleased

9. pendennis

pendennis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In the era between Daguerreotypes and digital, there existed the magic medium of negative photography. I was fortunate to have done professional work then.

I started out thinking I could do it all; photograph, edit, sell, scout, etc. It didn't take long to figure out that I had to cede control of some elements of my business processes. I wasn't a particularly gifted printer. I had done B/W and some color, but found a lot of the work tedious, and very time-consuming.

I could sell myself and my product, and I learned the technical side of taking the picture - composition, exposure, environmental conditions, etc. I could also control the logistics, and the soft side of the business. I developed a relationship with a local lab and one of their printing technicians. He mostly worked "in the back" of the shop, hardly ever seeing the store's front counter. He would advise me on my mistakes in exposure, mostly, and what the limits of darkroom work really were. While he could machine print some enlargements, he'd also single print negatives which needed some extra work. He provided me with notes which I included with my own.

I took courses on time management, work flow, theory of constraints, etc. Those were eye openers, and it improved my concept of business immensely.

So, yes, if you believe you can't control everything, then you can't. Recognize your own weaknesses and shortcomings, and play to your strengths.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brittany854

Brittany854 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

One of my first jobs at 17 was I think editing and printing wedding albums. I say i think because all I did was set the color and minor cropping. Not sure what he did to give me the negatives. Thats all that was done in those days dodging and burning were done by hand in the dark room. Much less all the photoshop lightroom stuff these days which i don't bother too much with SOOC4life. Ukranians and Chinese on model mayhem want 3-5$ per photo thats too much for a whole album. Part time teenager can bang out at least 4 an hour for 8-9$ an hour. Once i got a color scheme for a roll he had me run the whole roll at those settings to save time. Of course we were printing the stuff with a huge machine too so I had a physical product when i was done then the lady who manned the front (took rolls to be developed from customers and I did those too on another machine) she cut them up and put them in the book. Of course then you have full and part time staff and a store front and the legal stuff that should go with all that. If you're churning out wedding albums week after week how much editing should each picture really need? If people are paying high end for fashion magazine quality pictures then they deserve that money to go into the production process. Sorry, didn't realize its been sorted out and its "modern" wedding photography. Back in the day we churned em out.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2