OWNERS OF EOS 40-D QUESTION

STINKY PICTURES

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HI ALL, question, will this camera let you take a camera at a pre set picture size? like say around 640 x 480, or 800 x 600. Something in that ball bark. I`m having resizing issues with my pictures with my server, well compressing issues i`m told, and i`m getting slightly muddy pictures. So I need to shoot in a format that I don`t have to resize in. I plan on getting this camera and I hope that it has this feature.

I have the PDF manual on the camera, but just 5 minutes ago I just found out that my problem was the compression issue... then i started thinking oh my goodness. what if the 40d... didn`t have that feature.. then i panicked.. so does it have it? I`m gonna go and wade through the millon pages now. thanks!

The 30d has at least three different sizes to choose between, the smallest being 1728x1152px. But I really don't see the point of shooting anything else than full resolution at a regular basis. What if you get a really nice pic that you would like to print in a larger format?

The best way to get pictures for your server is to use the image processor in photoshop or some other batch conversion application. It's easy and it doesn't take more than a few minutes to create low resolution photos that way.

Yeah, shoot high and compress later. The 40D has like 20 different presets to choose from. Your compression issues may be the quality of JPEG compression. For screen you are looking at 72-96 dpi at most for file size issues. Check you color space if colors are coming out too wacky.

I agree with the others...always shoot at full size/resolution. It's a rather simple task to resize and/or compress an image for uploading....but it's much harder to make the image bigger when you want to do that (for printing etc).

How are you reducing your image size?

You can shoot at a smaller size in the 40D, but as the others have recommended it's not idea.

Personally, I do shoot at Medium sometimes for car photos going in the newspaper, coz I know they're just going on paper print, and I'm never ever going to use them again, and so I'll save myself some upload time to our incredibly slow server.

Your CCD is of fixed size and every single image "size" on your camera to pick from coincides with a multiple of the actual sensor size: you tell your camera to read every cell of the CCD, or every other cell, or every second other cell etc. In order to shoot in an arbitrary format you have to have software within your camera to resize images on the fly, which is computationally very expensive as it requires a complex extrapolation calculation to be evaluated for every pixel within your arbitrary-sized image.

While it is possible to do it, it would require lots of RAM within your camera and that extra RAM has to be powered by your camera battery. RAM is very power-hungry, especially when it is high-speed memory, because of the way it is implemented on a silicon dye.

The bottom line is that this feature would cost extra $100-$200 towards your camera body, would shorten your battery life and would have very limited application as your computer can do the same thing faster and better without all the power constraints.

Your CCD is of fixed size and every single image "size" on your camera to pick from coincides with a multiple of the actual sensor size: you tell your camera to read every cell of the CCD, or every other cell, or every second other cell etc. In order to shoot in an arbitrary format you have to have software within your camera to resize images on the fly, which is computationally very expensive as it requires a complex extrapolation calculation to be evaluated for every pixel within your arbitrary-sized image.

While it is possible to do it, it would require lots of RAM within your camera and that extra RAM has to be powered by your camera battery. RAM is very power-hungry, especially when it is high-speed memory, because of the way it is implemented on a silicon dye.

The bottom line is that this feature would cost extra $100-$200 towards your camera body, would shorten your battery life and would have very limited application as your computer can do the same thing faster and better without all the power constraints.

not to mention that these cameras probably already have as much RAM as their motherboards can handle (for maximum burst sizes) as well as the fact that even if you upgrade the hardware, the software and firmware might not read the hardware to do such an operation correctly, meaning you'd have to program and write your OWN firmware which has a HUGE potential for bugs and errors.

i always shoot quality high, but for some reason, and i don`t know what it is, my pictures when uploaded are getting muddied.... could it be my picture server? i asked him and he thinks its some sort of compression not related to him. they are super on my computer, but once they go to his service BANG.. some shots, are not clean. i shoot everything in ISO 100 with a tripod, in natural light. I`m super picky and use only the very best shots. i sometimes take as many as 300 and i when i`m finally finished i end up with about 25 that i can use. but about 10 of them end up sort of muddy.

Heres an example see her cheeks, especially her left cheek. I get this look on high quality pictures and on pictures that don`t even need to be resized. I`m lost.

I`m using a fugi fine pix camera right now, not a canon eos 40d camera, but i plan on buying that camera in 2 weeks, just getting my money in order now. its time i grew up... need it for my business. and i`ll be back bugging you guys with lens questions before i order them too.

DSCF1708.jpg

If colours are muddier or duller, then it's most definitely a colour profile problem.

Check your camera profile is set to sRGB, and when you edit them in photoshop check you're not changing them to Adobe or some other profile.

sRGB is the one you want for pictures on the web.

If it is the server that resizes or/and recompress your photos you have probably found the source for your problem. There are a lot of server side application that don't resize photos properly. The best thing for you is to resize a set in your computer before uploading and make sure that no modifications are made later on the server.

Most reactions

Back