P Series Filters

MacBraun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have searched up and down on here and google and I just can't find a real answer to my current predicament. I have recently purchased a Cokin P Series holder and a few drop in filters. Now I'm lookin to expand that collection and I want to know if one brand is better than another with those filters.

1. My next filter for the system will probably be a polarizer. I know for the screw-on filters, most recommend the Multi-coated filters and I haven't seen that mentioned on the drop-in polarizers. I've seen the Cokin for ~$75 and a Singh-Ray for $210. Is the Singh-Ray that much better?

2. I'm also interested in NDs and Grads. I've read that Cokins tend to have a color cast to them. Is this true? Also, what brand is best? Or, maybe, what brand is worst?

I know that a lot of these effects can be reproduced with software but I'm not that good with the software and I'd rather have a good to great image to start with.

Thank you for all the help.

-Dave

1. Get circular polarizing filter. Cards work negatively with AF, and discs for a P holder work weird. As for the brand get B&W or Hoya. I don't know if you have Hama filters where you live, but I find them best of all, especially for the price. I am talking all about CPL.
2. Grads. If you have a lot of money in your pocket get Lee filters. If not much money, Cokin. P 121 M is ND4. The most useful filter you could get.
I hope I understood you correctly.

So, you're saying to get a CPL screw on for the lens and attach the p holder to that? Won't that make the CPL hard to rotate?

The CPL would be a stand-alone (unless stacked with other screw-on filters) and not use the holder. B+W and Hoya are the two I would suggest and make sure it's multi-coated.

Lee and Singh-Ray are top shelf drop-in filters.

So, you're saying to get a CPL screw on for the lens and attach the p holder to that? Won't that make the CPL hard to rotate?
Well no. Not for me at least. It usually comes (the CPL) with a little stick to rotate it. It'll be definitely more tough to rotate it behind a Card.

Most reactions

Back