P7 CPU Chip

Takeda

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While working for IBM, I developed, and taught a semiconductor (microelectronics) course. One of my "show and tells" was a P7 CPU chip (wafer, and modules). The P7 was developed by IBM in 2009, using a 45nm (nanometer) technology. 45nm is the minimum feature size (poly width) for the chip design. The P7 successor is the P8 CPU.

Here are some photos, that I thought would be of interest. The DOF is extremely shallow in some of the photos, even at f/22.

1 300mm silicon wafer. Red rectangle is one of many P7 CPU chips on the wafer.
DSC_00001-XL.jpg

2 Closer image of P7 CPU chip.
DSC_00002-XL.jpg

3 P7 CPU chip size comparison to penny.
DSC_00003-XL.jpg

4 Magnified edge of P7 CPU chip.
DSC_00004-XL.jpg

5 Magnified edge of P7 CPU chip.
DSC_00005-XL.jpg

6 Eye of needle used for size reference. Spherical shapes are solder balls used for I/O, power, and ground connections to chip.
DSC_00006-XL.jpg

7 Black rectangle is backside of “diced” chip attached to ceramic substrate. Chip solder balls are reflowed to attach chip to ceramic substrate.
DSC_00007-XL.jpg

8 Edge of ceramic substrate.
DSC_00008-XL.jpg

9 Bottom of ceramic substrate. Gold pads are for chip connections to socket/card.
DSC_00009-XL.jpg

10 Top of completed module.
DSC_00010-XL.jpg

11 Edge of completed module.
DSC_00011-XL.jpg

12 Bottom of completed module.
DSC_00012-XL.jpg

The pictures are sort of bland, but the material behind the images are fascinating.

The second picture has a retro videogame feeling to it. When I wouldn't know the context I wouldn't see it as a picture of something 3 dimensional, it's more like a pattern.
I like #5 since you got the depth playing there. I feel like it could be a Nine Inch Nail cover image :)

The second picture has a retro videogame feeling to it. When I wouldn't know the context I wouldn't see it as a picture of something 3 dimensional, it's more like a pattern.
I like #5 since you got the depth playing there. I feel like it could be a Nine Inch Nail cover image :)

Thank you!

A new photo using extension tubes. Eye of a needle for size comparison:

DSC_00033-X2.jpg

These I think have great potential! The first ones are almost like abstract art. Its just that theyre a bit bland. I would saturate the colors more for one. And maybe you need to try different lighting.

These I think have great potential! The first ones are almost like abstract art. Its just that theyre a bit bland. I would saturate the colors more for one. And maybe you need to try different lighting.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back