Paint Shop Pro--NOT for Photo shop klan members

Freedbaby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not to start anything here but......:er:

I did a lot of research on what I wanted in a Photo Editing program. I previously used Picasa which was wonderful and easy to use. Most importantly it was FREE.

After using Photo Shop and Elements I realized it wasnt for me, so the search began.

I ended up this weekend with Paint Shop Pro by Corel. I cannot say enough good things about it. It does everything I need it to do.

I reccomend it to the person who either A) does not have the time or desire to learn Photoshop or B) wants soemthing as easy as Picasa but just wants to move up to the next level.

I loaded it up and was able to start using it right away....big A plus for me

Freedbaby

I used paint shop pro when i was in grade school, was a good program back then but i couldn't wait to upgrade to photoshop.

But i am also huge into graphic design (err was, photography took over).

To each their own i guess....

(was not sure how to respond to this thread)

Its a good program, i used it for a while, but it really doesn't have anywhere near the power and abilities of CS3.

But hey if the shoe fits, wear it!

I appreciate your feedback about Paintshop being not as powerful as CS3.....I didnt really ask.

You both are clearly Photoshop fans.....GREAT FOR YOU!!!!!!!

Not all of us are, and I posted it because after using the search feature it seemed like there were more than a couple in my boat.....was just trying to help those out.

Freedbaby

Well I think perhaps you ought to make your intentions more clear then. You can't just run around saying things that are patently untrue, for example "nothing it won't do," and then get pissy when someone points out that is incorrect. The fact of the matter is that PS is a far more capable program in many respects.

If your point is that Paint Shop Pro is great for the money, has features advanced enough for most, and has an easy learning curve, then I certainly agree and I think it's nice that you're spreading the word. But you should neither be under nor spreading the illusion that PSPro can do everything that Photoshop can.

Hyundai claims that their sedan is as good as a BMW 5 series.

I am sorry for being misleading....I have since edited my post.

I appreciate your feedback about Paintshop being not as powerful as CS3.....I didnt really ask.

You both are clearly Photoshop fans.....GREAT FOR YOU!!!!!!!
Freedbaby

You really didn't ask anything my friend so i guess all responses would be void?

When you make an opinionated thread with no real intent you have to expect people will give their opinion as well; just like the lightroom over aperture threads.. All a matter of opinion and what you need it for to determine which is best for you.

I just stated, as a graphics designer, photoshop was the better application. As far as paint shop pro goes?? i dont know, i havn't used it since version 7.

@max... cmon, you cant HONESTLY say that hyundai's claim is false :lmao:.... hyundai vs bmw..... no question my friend

It is true....its an open forum afterall.

I am having a really bad day and just realized that almost every post I made on here today was assy.

Sorry folks-we all have bad days. be back in a better mood manana

I've driven both. No contest.

I'm currently using the trial version of PSP. Unfortunately, I can no longer compare it to Elements because my PSE trial ran out and I cannot download it again.

The real bummer is I discovered going beyond "Auto" and into curves and levels in PSP, after the Elements trail expired. So, no comparing there. Timing is everything!!

As a noob once stuck in "Auto" fix PSP is a little daunting. Some of the PS tutorials I find relate back to PSP and I learn something, others do not. Some things I find Picasa does just as well, and faster, when using Fill Light or "I'm Feeling Lucky".

I only wish I could compare features in PSP to PSE now that I've gone beyond Auto....

By the way... What is the PSP equivilent to Picasa's Fill Light slider?

Just wondering, Did you ever give Lightroom a try? It is pretty much straight forward.. easy as hell to use. I use it and CS3. I used PSP way back in the day.

By the way... What is the PSP equivilent to Picasa's Fill Light slider?

Embarassed to say that I cant answer that...havent had much time to mess with it. When I loaded it they other day, however, the first few things I tried revolved around removing blemishes and using the paint brushes and drawing functions--it was very straight forward.

If you like I can let you know as soon as I have more time to play with it.

Freedbaby

PaintShop Pro has MORE photoshop elements in it than the ELEMENTS program, so I would certainly recommend it as a step closer to Photoshop than Elements is.

Photoshop CS3 has a greater range of adjustments than PaintShop Pro but then that sometimes means more steps to accomplish the same goal than are necessary in PaintShop Pro. If you use a lot of plug-ins then it does not really matter because the plug-ins are compatible with both.

PaintShop Pro is faster for a lot of editing with fewer steps than Photoshop and realistically a lot of enthusiasts and even some pros will not need CS3.

I use both.

skieur

Photoshop CS3 has a greater range of adjustments than PaintShop Pro but then that sometimes means more steps to accomplish the same goal than are necessary in PaintShop Pro. If you use a lot of plug-ins then it does not really matter because the plug-ins are compatible with both.

PaintShop Pro is faster for a lot of editing with fewer steps than Photoshop and realistically a lot of enthusiasts and even some pros will not need CS3.

I use both.

skieur

Assuming you know this but often times more steps to accomplish "the same thing" gives the user more control. As we already stated and most agree to, photoshop is aimed at the more experienced user or those who want more control over their workflow. Now, it may take fewer steps to achieve the "same goal", but those fewer steps just means PSP or whatever application makes more decisions for you, which is not always a good thing.

When doing blur, i know photoshop gives a lot of different sub-categories in which you can make specific edits. In programs that do not offer those specific edits, One would assume that that program is just choosing them for you.

Most reactions

Back