Paint the flood wall

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The annual Paint Louis, the painting of the flood wall, is this weekend. I like day 2 because the artists are over halfway finished. The flood wall painted is about 1/2 mile long and many artists from around the US. Sometimes a few International teams paint. This year it seemed bigger with more artists, food trucks and the main stage was bigger. The event gave me a chance to try out my new Fuji X-t5. I love the cropping ability. In years past I've taken a longish zoom lens and last year the 56mm. This year I used the 35mm.

090223_004wwSM.jpg

090223_005wwSM.jpg

090223_018wwSM.jpg

4. Cropped version of #5
090223_030cropwwSM.jpg

5. Full version
090223_030wwSM.jpg

Top-shelf series of the sort I personally would love to see more often on TPF.
Regarding things "Fuji," the "Fujicron" f/2 primes are killer--not a dud in the bunch. Own the 16, 23, 35 and 50mm. No zooms.
Also love my Fuji X-100T and Ricoh GR II--big APS-C sensors shoe-horned into tiny metal bodies with superb optics.
Suspect you had great fun shooting this? It shows!

Top-shelf series of the sort I personally would love to see more often on TPF.
Regarding things "Fuji," the "Fujicron" f/2 primes are killer--not a dud in the bunch. Own the 16, 23, 35 and 50mm. No zooms.
Also love my Fuji X-100T and Ricoh GR II--big APS-C sensors shoe-horned into tiny metal bodies with superb optics.
Suspect you had great fun shooting this? It shows!
Agree on the Fuji lens. I traded in the 16mm. I have the 18-55, 56, 90, 50-140 and the 35. The 56 is my favorite.

It is fun to see the artists in action. The event has grown crowd size. The first few years not many people walking and looking. This year was tough to find a parking place. The road is gravel and not set up for crowds. The stage was bigger this year and an addition of food trucks. The event isn't advertised much. I did see a segment this year on the local news.

We walked thru an open flood gate and went down the path to the river. Stood on an old platform which probably wasn't that stable to view the river. The platform next to the one we were on looks like broken support beams.

090223_008wwSM.jpg

Have an embarassment of old Nikon MF glass I play with via adapter on my X-T1 bodies, which I'll upgrade when they break. Something to explore with the X-T5 and 30 buck adapters. Old fast primes in various mounts can be stupid cheap.

That first one looks great!
There's tons of old docks with rotted pilings wasting away on every U.S. waterway; sometimes you can't tell how bad they are until you see them from the water at a low moon tide, or until they just collapse.

These guys are talented artists....
Every year I am more impressed with their work

That first one looks great!
There's tons of old docks with rotted pilings wasting away on every U.S. waterway; sometimes you can't tell how bad they are until you see them from the water at a low moon tide, or until they just collapse.
It probably wasn't the best decision to walk out on one. The Mississippi hasn't been up to the old dock level in years. Maybe it will be swept away next big flood event.

This is a wonderful set!
Thanks Jeff!

Terrific set! This looks like a blast. I'm in awe of large scale painting like this, so it must be a kick to watch these artists in action.

It's fun seeing local events grow organically, isn't it? You sure had a beautiful day!

Beautiful art and great photos! Glad you’re enjoying the XT5. I have that 35 f2 and love it for when I’m out and want to bring my camera but it’s not really a photo outing. With the smallish size of the lens and camera I can easily fit it in my coach tote purse or a decent sized cross body bag.

Terrific set! This looks like a blast. I'm in awe of large scale painting like this, so it must be a kick to watch these artists in action.

It's fun seeing local events grow organically, isn't it? You sure had a beautiful day!
Thanks Terri! It was a hot, hot day. The wall is about a mile long and we did not walk the whole length.

Beautiful art and great photos! Glad you’re enjoying the XT5. I have that 35 f2 and love it for when I’m out and want to bring my camera but it’s not really a photo outing. With the smallish size of the lens and camera I can easily fit it in my coach tote purse or a decent sized cross body bag.
Thanks Sharon! The artists are amazing in their vision. I like the 35mm because it is light weight and surprisingly sharp. It is my walking around lens because it isn't that flashy. I take it to Mexico along with the 56mm

You got some nice photos of an interesting subject. Beautifully done!

Just next time don't fall off that falling apart dock! lol if it's still there by next year.

Thanks Terri! It was a hot, hot day. The wall is about a mile long and we did not walk the whole length.

Thanks Sharon! The artists are amazing in their vision. I like the 35mm because it is light weight and surprisingly sharp. It is my walking around lens because it isn't that flashy. I take it to Mexico along with the 56mm
Yes it’s super sharp and focuses so fast! Also not bad bokeh if you can get up close and get some background separation.

You got some nice photos of an interesting subject. Beautifully done!

Just next time don't fall off that falling apart dock! lol if it's still there by next year.
Thanks! My husband ventured farther on the dock than I did. Next time we will stay on firm ground.

090223_009SMw.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back