Painting the body of a DSLR?

Have you thought about Lenscoat.com? They have stuff to cover your lens, Im not sure about cameras but I would think you could. I have also heard good reviews about there products and think it would be the best path. You could then easily change from Black, to a forest to a desert Camo easily add protection to you equipment and not have to risk damaging it in the process. I have never used there products myself so maybe someone can tell you more about them, but it's a thought. Could be worth sending them a email atleast. Good luck and stay safe

I honestly wouldn't be worried about painting your camera tan... it would be like painting your m-4 tan... it looks cool but not really needed. There are alot of people here at kandahar that have nikon d90's and nikon d2000 and i have seen a couple canon eos t1i's and t2i's and they are black and just about every single person has a point and shoot.
Yeah unless you're on a team or what not, there is no need for painting your weapon. And if people are out on patrol shooting there camera, I can almost guarantee that painting a camera is not needed. Even PAO pax do not paint there rigs.

This may be an unusual question but I'm hoping that someone may have some useful insight...

I recently purchased a Canon T1i that I will be using on deployment with the Army in Afghanistan. I need to paint the body of the camera as well as my lenses using non-reflective tan paint. Black is a very unnatural color and believe it or not every little bit matters. I have spray paint and can get regular brush-on paint if you experts think that it would be better as I can control where it goes more precisely. I know that I will need to mask off the buttons, lcd screen, flash lens, and microphone holes on the body. Am I missing anything?

What about the lenses? Obviously the glass but what else? I do not know that technical names of parts but are the rings that you hold to manually adjust focus sealed or will spray paint get in there and ruin the lens?

I really appriciate any advice that you can give and I look forward to sharing some of my photos of Afghanistan.

What about camera armor? They don't officially make one for the t1i, but the XSI one may work and you could paint the amor without painting the camera.

Canon Rebel XSi/450D

Yeah unless you're on a team or what not, there is no need for painting your weapon. And if people are out on patrol shooting there camera, I can almost guarantee that painting a camera is not needed. Even PAO pax do not paint there rigs.

Now, see, that would explain why my son was laughing when he thanked me for the camera :) Though I did think the silver was a bit ... bright :)

Darnit - I SHOULD have painted it Barbie pink!

Now, see, that would explain why my son was laughing when he thanked me for the camera :) Though I did think the silver was a bit ... bright :)

Darnit - I SHOULD have painted it Barbie pink!
Yeah hot pink would of been..HOT!
We get a kick out of funny care packages. I just sent my buddy one. Im sure he'll appreciate it.

Yeah hot pink would of been..HOT!
We get a kick out of funny care packages. I just sent my buddy one. Im sure he'll appreciate it.

He asked for chapsticks and such at one point and I sent him a care package with a few regular chapsticks, a whole bunch of Hanna Montana glitter chapsticks, girlie bandaids, little kid sunscreen and a couple of inflatable pool toys :)

I did make it up to him with the next package that included a lot of cookies, crystal light and skittles....

- Maura

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwZ_RleZ9Bw[/ame]

Guide on how to paint your DSLR pink.

BUT unsuccessful!!!

just take a look please.:headbang:

I design portable radios for tough environments and there's generally a stigma against using spray paint for your kind of needs. Spray paints don't last long and will deteriorate very quickly. Actually, most kinds of paints are not recommended. The color of the product is usually in the plastic, therefore there is no paint-rubbing issue.

I would recommend getting some kind of fabric casing that has the color that you want. Or, dye the fabric. That way it's pretty durable and you get the camo effect that you want. This will be very much like how we use plastic bags to weather-proof cameras in the rain.

I suppose you also want to consider tying your lens cap to the lens body and get rid of the shiny nikon or canon logo. You can just have the front sand blasted to get an even matte finish.

I am 35M and 11B. My last tour was as an Intelligence Section Combat Advisor to an Afghan Army Infantry Battalion.

I honestly wouldn't be worried about painting your camera tan... it would be like painting your m-4 tan... it looks cool but not really needed. There are alot of people here at kandahar that have nikon d90's and nikon d2000 and i have seen a couple canon eos t1i's and t2i's and they are black and just about every single person has a point and shoot.

I will be going on my next tour on a LRS (Long Range Surveillance)Team. If you are not familiar with us, look it up. It is interesting for people up to a challenge. We do paint our weapons as well as every other piece of equipment that we carry including cameras. I know that it is rare for someone to need to paint their equipment but there are some of us out there.

I appreciate your feedback but my question more about the technical aspects of painting a camera rather than the necessity of it. I know why I am doing this, it's the how that I was questioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwZ_RleZ9Bw

Guide on how to paint your DSLR pink.

BUT unsuccessful!!!

just take a look please.:headbang:

That video is pretty funny and sadly I'm not sure that I could have done any better. Had I tried to spray paint it, I would not have taken it apart. I would have just tried to mask it better.

Right now, I am leaning towards taking my time to properly mask it and paint it with a brush. It does not need to be completely covered, just as much as I can do to dull it a bit. I will take the advice to mask the button labels for my own ease of use as well as anyone else that needs to use it.

Simple pic from my last tour in Eastern Afghanistan...

101_0875.jpg

Here you go....

Krylon: Weathered Patina

Pick a paint finish and color, and mask off critical control buttons, then paint away...let us know how it turns out, okay?

I have painted many thousands of small objects using Krylon brand spray paints; one word of advice: TEST for compatibility on the surface you are painting..."some" surfaces react very badly with "some"paints, and "MANY" topcoats react badly with "many" paints...the painting is usually not a problem, but top coats, polyurethanes, urethanes,and many lacquers can often react when brands are mixed!

Most reactions

Back