Painting With Light. CC please.

nicholaslawson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was doing a project in college involving light and I really enjoyed it but I kept going back out night after night trying to improve my photographs. Is there any advice you could give me??

Thanks in advance for anything you say. Im new to all of this so forgive me if i've done anything wrong...

Using a Fujifilm S200 EXR

Triumph Daytona 675 Triple 1 by NicholasLawson1993, on Flickr

These look so fun! Thanks for sharing! I love the fire shooting out the back of the motorcycle in #2...my only cc would be that the bike doesn't seem as crisp and in focus as your shots of the cars, to my eye at least. I love these! =)

Thank you for the feedback. I took so many photos of that damn bike! It just wasn't turning out the way I wanted.

I have a few other photos that i was thinking of getting advice on so I may link them into here at a later date.

What are you using as a light source?

Essentially, you can use anything...which allows for plenty of creativity. But I think a common option is to use a flash. You could buy any old cheap flash for this type of thing. I'd also suggest getting a color gel kit. That will allow you to change the color of your flash pops.

Of course, a flash won't let you to the light writing type of thing...but allows you to light up parts of your scene. You could easily combine the two techniques.

Gels, are basically colored sheets of cellophane, that is supposed to be resistant to melting from the heat of lights. Studio etc. use large sheets to cover their lights, but for a flash, you really only need a small strip. You can probably get a free sample kit, if you look around.
Just Google 'free flash gel sample' or something like that.

I was taking photographs completely in the dark and as I pressed the shutter down I would go over the Bike/Car with a small LED hand torch to kinda of print the image on and then I would do something in the back ground or start the fire until the 30 seconds were up.

I've heard of flash gels and there are some on Amazon for a fiver or something. They seem to be like something I really need for variety and to just change up the whole scene. I've also found fire a really good medium to work with. It's very temperamental in the sense that it doesn't light when you want and it's so easy to get yourself caught in the frame during the exposure. but it does give a nice glow and a decent effect.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm just amazed at how fast I've had feedback. I was waiting for someone to say they were crap or something along those lines because the photographs on here are truly amazing.

I like the fire with the motorcycle! I think I want to try that out with my Kawi Z1000 now :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back