Panasonic Lumix GX80/GX85 or Sony Alpha A6000, help please!

thomas610

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

I was initially stuck between an Olympus OMD-E10 Mark II and a Panasonic Lumix GX80/85 and after seemingly deciding on the GX80/GX85 stumbled upon the Sony A6000 which also has great reviews.

A couple of points:

1. This will be my first camera, an upgrade from a phone camera.

2. I'm interested in urban, street and night photography.

3. I'm not too fussed about the 4k video that the Panasonic offers.

4. I'm aware that the A6000 is 24mp and the GX80/GX85 is 16mp but will this impact my photos too much? If I choose the GX80/GX85 will the photo quality of what I shoot (night, urban, street) be much worse? Will i still get great pictures as a beginner with the GX80/GX85?

5. I prefer the look of the GX80/GX85 purely from an aesthetic point of view.

I would really appreciate everyone's help and advice, thanks!

Used to own the Panasonic G7 and I switched to the Sony a6300
MFT sensor of the 16MP Panasonic underwhelmed me, low light performance and dynamic range were ok at best on the other hand the 24MP APS-C sensor is a beauty.
I would go for the Sony if these were the only 2 choices I was forced to go with.

It does depend on a few bits. The gx80 I owned was a nice camera, but I thought the image quality from Olympus M4/3 was better.

I can safely say the Sony should outperform the micro four thirds system in outright image quality if you have the correct lenses, but on the upside for the smaller system, it has amazing fast small lenses that are affordable.

Both systems are very capable of great photos

I would always want a Sony 24-MP sensor for night work compared with anything that's still way behind and has a 16-MP sensor. Sorry if it offends people, but the 16-million-pixel sensors that are years-old now are not nearly at the cutting edge that Sony has arrived at through huge investment and partnership with other,major camera making firms. if you want the truth, then YES, going with an older-style,less-capable,smaller sensor that has non-state-of-the-art sensor technology will/can/might affect your work in the most challenging situations.

OTOH, the smaller sensor camera offers deeper DOF in social phototography situations,and is small.

Addendum: if you prefer the look of the Panny, then it is a strong contender. Always buy what YOU like!

Last edited:
I owned the A6000 for a few years along with a Zeiss 50mm lens, you can't go wrong with the A6000, outstanding camera and was very easy to use and navigate around the menu system.....This camera should serve you well with a good lens for street and urban photography...

Most reactions

Back