Panorama - Warning if you get dizzy easy!

Mike Jordan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sitnprettyphoto.com
This is a 11 image panorama of the Columbia River Gorge looking East towards the well known Vista House on Crown Point. I won't go into a lot of detail on it right now, I want to see what people think first. But be warned, some people have reported getting dizzy and disorinted from following the around the image and on into the center. You have been warned. :D

gorgeroundsmall.jpg

For the really daring, here is a larger version of it at 200K in size:

http://www.sitnprettyphoto.com/display/gorgeroundlarge.jpg

Mike

That's one cool image you got there :thumbup:! Post your editing to it, I'd like to see it!

That is awesome! I would absolutely love to know how you did that.

I saw on the internet a couple of days ago, a guy who actually modified a film camera to get 'real' photos that came out like this. I've got no idea how he did it. But I fell in love and would love to do it myself! But with digital of course.

Cool.

I've seen similar photos that were made by putting a piece of film around the inside of a film canister...and then putting a pin hole in the cap.

Thanks for all the commments. I was pretty surprised when I saw how it came out as well. Now I want to come up with others to do the same thing. This is the original 11 image panorama:

gorge2868x11small.jpg

Here is a slightly larger image (340K) for those on high speed that like looking at bigger images:

http://www.sitnprettyphoto.com/display/gorge2868x11med.jpg

I did the globe by bringing the full size panorama into Painter IX and using their pattern pen and stroke feature. You turn the panorama into a pattern and use a pattern pen to draw it back out. The trick is to create a circle and draw it out around the circle using the stroke option. I saw this in the Painter IX Wow! book right after I had created the panorama and had to try it. Had I known about doing this when I took the pictures, I would have done it a bit different on the two end images so that they merged together better. It's done with a panorama image so that the image is long enough to go around the circle without repeating... although I suspect that some images wouldn't look bad repeating either.

There are other programs that will create something like this but I can't remember their names at the moment. If I can get the right images, I have a few other ideas I want to try as well. :D

Thanks again for all the comments.

Mike

What a gorgeous view, Mike! I wish I could go there some day to see it myself!

Thanks Knopka. Yes, I am lucky in all the great scenic places to shoot in this area. We have scores of waterfalls, a number of moutain peaks, very beautiful coast line, a wet side and a dry side, lots of forests and a lot more. :D

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Hmmm, maybe I should move to Oregon :mrgreen:? Just kidding. But if I ever get a chance to visit, I certainly will check it out ;). Thank you for sharing!

Spring and fall are a great time to visit the west side of the state. Winter can be a great time to visit the coast... no crowds. It can be rainy in the winter though. The rainy season just started with about 2 inches of rain in 24 hours in some spots. We went from Sept being one of the driest Sept in history to way above average in one day. :D We need the rain after a dry summer, but I hope it turns into snow pack in the mountains. We didn't get very much snow last winter and if we hadn't have had a wetter than normal spring, we would have really been hurting for water. So hopefully this winter will be more normal with a ton of snow in the Cascades.

Oregon and Washington are both states worth visiting if you get a chance.

Mike

I had a couple of comments that the white area around the glove was a little distracting. So I tried making it several different colors but didn't really find one that did much for me. But I thought the gray was better than some. Does this do anything for it or is the white still the best choice?

gorgeroundgray.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back