Paper negative contest

I'm watching from the sidelines.... :popcorn:

I shall root for all of you to make great shots while I am scrubbing the lith ink out from under my fingernails. :lol:

Any other help you need, scream and I'll probably hear ya. :thumbup:

Question about reciprocity and paper. If I'm going to do a still life indoors with controlled lighting, at ISO 5, it's going to be a LONG exposure :p Anyone have a clue?

I like you crazy luddites, but I'm sticking with sheet film. I'd be glad to throw my hat in the ring to be a judge. :)

In the past we have had print exchanges. You guys might want to think about that. It's so nice to be able to actually see the prints in person.

Here's what I do. I shoot paper at iso 10 outdoors in the sunlight and iso five inside, seems to take care of the problem. Also iso five in the shade.

That may account for why the iso difference or it might be the color temperature. James is trying to decide why it works that way, it just does for some reason. At least that is my experience.

However with pinhole it's a different kettle of fish I think. Trial and error seems to be the best way to go with this stuff.

Scanning the paper negative is a lot more tolerent than shooting it. I expect you can still scan it a stop off.

If you guys come up with a really good working formula I will be thrilled.

ok, Matt has volunteered to be a judge for this, so it's starting to look official. :thumbup:

I'm happy to help coordinate as much as you need. Do you guys want to determine a time frame for getting all your images submitted?

Tell me which thread you'd like to see stickied up there for ease of use, or maybe you want to start another one outlining the details? - your call. :)

Why not let the guys decide on categories and then use broad stroke for them.

I definitely thing the still life is a must since I already shot one lol... But I made a picture of a camera outside once and someone called it an enviornmental still life. I like that term as well. It is sort of what you get when you shoot something on your front porch. I think that kind of thing belongs in still life as well as the traditional stuff.

Same with landscape. A landscape needn't just be a tradition scene, but something like I am going to post later as well. Now that is my opinion only.

Looks like there is going to be more interst than I expected for sure.

Whatever you guys want to do is fine! Given the ISO speed here, still life seems a natural to include. :)

Digital Matt said:
Question about reciprocity and paper. If I'm going to do a still life indoors with controlled lighting, at ISO 5, it's going to be a LONG exposure :p Anyone have a clue?

It depends, Matt. Charlie discovered, and I confirmed, that pinhole indoors is pretty muchly an exercise in futility. However, I've taken pictures with the Mamiya and a total of about 160 watts of household tungsted lighting in those garage-trouble-light reflectors, and had exposures running only a few seconds. It's best to bracket until you find a standard that works for the paper and lighting combination you plan to use.

Note to everyone... this probably seems like a no-brainer, but make sure that if you're contact printing, your negative uses paper with no marks on the back. I only mention this because I've failed to realize it, and found "Kodak" imprinted on a print. Needless to say, I never used that paper again.

ksmattfish said:
In the past we have had print exchanges. You guys might want to think about that. It's so nice to be able to actually see the prints in person.

Print exchange! I like this idea! I've been wanting to get in on a print exchange for a good, long while.

Charlie, what year was Taft born? Not to try to guess at plots, or anything... :mrgreen:

Taft died in 2000 at 85... lol... now im not sure where the story is going but you have a good thought there. If im not mistaken roy has about 7 or 8 years to learn what he needs to know before taft is old enough to start to apprentice at anything.

I actually did a little work on the story today but not enough for the next episode yet.

Most reactions

Back