Parade Prep Two

JJK1975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's another one from Detroit's Parade Company Thanksgiving Parade Preview.

The shot was taken with my Pentax, then I got crazy in Photoshop. A bit of crop, some level work, then the Watercolor filter.

Comments and edits welcome. Thanks.

conveyorbelt.jpg

Well, sorry to be a spoil-sport but I am neither too keen on the on-camera flash effect making the foremost things overexposed, casting sharp shadows and gleaming light effects on the items here, nor am I keen on the PS filters available.

This is Photo Critique so I may sound harsh: to me this is just a snapshot combined with the attempt to make something more than a snapshot from it.

Gotcha about the flash. Should we avoid them whenever we can?

And what's the difference between a snapshot and whatever-isn't-a-snapshot? And what's that called?

So much to learn!

Flash Harry said:
its called a photograph, and no, you shouldn't avoid flash, its a tool you need to learn how to use well.

Well, duh.

That wasn't particularly helpful.

How do I effectively use an on camera flash?

JasonKahler said:
Well, duh.

That wasn't particularly helpful.

How do I effectively use an on camera flash?

you're right, that wasn't too helpful. Look up 'snapshot' (for example at Wikipedia) just to get a general idea of the difference. But about the on camera flash: it produces hard images (lots of light directly on your subject and those hard shadows behind it). If that's what you want your pictures to look like; go ahead and use the on camera flash. But in general it's considered more appealing to use light that comes from (a) different angle(s). Try it and you'll see what I mean.

pascal

From Wikipedia:

"A snapshot is a casual photograph taken without any particular pre-arrangement, often of everyday events or sightseeing excursions. Snapshots are often imperfect or considered amateurish and may be out of focus or poorly framed or composed."

At this point, I think most of my photographs are actually amateur enough to look like snapshots!

I actually did try to compose that thing!

I think than the question is: What could you have done differently?

Maybe a much tighter original shot, isolating just an interestingaspect. Your angle is looking down at it. What makes that interseting? Is that a different angle from wich everybody else sees it? These are some of the things to maybe think about while you compose your shot.

When you take a picture take several of the same thing with different lighting, flash brightness (even none at all) and try other angles also. You can never really know exactly what will happen you have to experiment and expand your experience

Generally for me... I only consider the on-camera flash when my only other option is not taking the pic. Maybe I haven't mastered it yet but I rarely get what I feel is a quality pic while using it.

Most reactions

Back