Paradise Tanager - Canon 200mm Lens Comparison

gatorbill-75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
gatorbill.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Although not a scientific comparison since the shots were not taken under controlled conditions and identical exposure. I thought others might be interested in seeing these shots I took of a Paradise Tanager at the San Diego Zoo with these three different lenses. 100% crop images are available for download at the following Zenfolio gallery:
Zenfolio | Bill Fleites Photography | Canon 200mm Lens Comparison

--gatorbill-75

Full Images:
p645410540-6.jpg

p586505054-6.jpg

p824285433-6.jpg

100% Crops:
p1010090516-6.jpg

p1065885195-6.jpg

p1060649475-6.jpg

Although the exposures and such don't seem exactly the same, I think the 200 mm lens produced the best photos in these. I especially really like the first one. Beautiful bird!!

I second that.

Thanks everyone. The model of the shots is getting lots of complements everywhere I've posted, and rightfully so since it is a beautiful bird. I love the reactions of people as they come into the aviary and see it for the first time, all you hear over and over again is WOW LOOK AT THAT ONE WITH THE GREEN HEAD !!!

--gatorbill-75
Zenfolio | Bill Fleites Photography

Gah I knew I shouldn't have looked! Great shooting Gator and a yes avery pretty subject indeed! I certainly expected teh 200mm prime to be the winner even before looking, but that 70-200mm M2 is shaping up very nicely (gah I want it now......!)

great captures nice bird

Thanks Overread, yes the new 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Mark II is a superb lens and it's very-very close in IQ and AF performance to the 200mm f/2.0L IS lens. Good luck resisting it's lure, I've already caved in.

--gatorbill-75

Great shots. :) I'll have to make it out to the zoo myself and shoot my recently-purchased mkII.

Thanks Overread, yes the new 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Mark II is a superb lens and it's very-very close in IQ and AF performance to the 200mm f/2.0L IS lens. Good luck resisting it's lure, I've already caved in.

--gatorbill-75

Great shots. :) I'll have to make it out to the zoo myself and shoot my recently-purchased mkII.

Thanks, congrats on your MkII purchase, I think you'll be extremely pleased with it, it's an amazing piece of glass.

--gatorbill-75

Most reactions

New Topics

Back