Dream lens 200mm f/2

kalgra

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally made the plunge and bought the number one dream lens on my bucket list, the Canon 200mm f/2 L IS.

200mm-1 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

I just received it today and am a little excited to say the least. I only had a couple hours to test it out before it started to get dark. So far I am super thrilled with the images coming out of this lens, However I will say the hit rate on the focus is not what I was hoping for. Im going to calibrate the AF tomorrow and hopefully get better results but otherwise when you nail focus with this lens the results are just incredible! Insanely sharp wide open and the out of focus areas are everything I imagined it would be.

I knew this lens as big but dear god its truly a monster! This is my trio of 200mm Canon lenses for comparison. For those of you familiar with the 70-200 2.8 its big and heavy already and this thing dwarfs it.

Right to left:
70-200 f/4 IS
70-200 f/2.8 IS II
200 f/2 IS

200mm-trio-1 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

Here are just a couple quick backyard test shots nothing fancy.

Flowerbokeh-1 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

Rach-1 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

Congratulations. A 200/2 is an amazing image-maker. Yes, big, yes, heavy. Yes,amazing. A good monopod will make it all the much easier to shoot with this lens. It'd be well worth your time to investigate a quality 1.4x teleconverter to leverage this lens.

Congratulations. A 200/2 is an amazing image-maker. Yes, big, yes, heavy. Yes,amazing. A good monopod will make it all the much easier to shoot with this lens. It'd be well worth your time to investigate a quality 1.4x teleconverter to leverage this lens.

Thanks!
I do own the 1.4x and 2x converters. I popped them both on in my office just to get an idea how usable they are. The 1.4x is definitely usable, the 2x i'm no too sure about. Its hard to tell from just a couple shots in the house under crappy light but it look like the 2x really softens the image and looks like it my even be introducing some CA. The 1.4 looked pretty decent though. My guess is shooting with the 2x will be pointless. I can probably get equally good images with the 1.4 and a crop vs the 2x and still be a stop faster. I should probably just sell the 2x I never use it for that reason.

That’s awesome.

I’ve always wanted a 200 f/2 myself. I’m honestly tempted to just put the new one Fuji is releasing on my credit card because it’s a bucket list item to own a professional telephoto prime lens.

Jealous to say the least.

That’s awesome.

I’ve always wanted a 200 f/2 myself. I’m honestly tempted to just put the new one Fuji is releasing on my credit card because it’s a bucket list item to own a professional telephoto prime lens.

Jealous to say the least.

I hear ya! I seriously contemplated the fuji instead being roughly the same price but all of my other portrait lenses I would be using along side this one are FF canon so it made sense to just keep it the same. And I have to remember why I bought into Fuji in the first place. lol

This is the lens on my must have list. I had a Tamron 150/600mm but had a fall and it smashed.
And I have had this one on my list and now it on the top.
I want to do birds and wildlife as well as sports or action shots.

From what I have read it should see my right, I know I will miss a few bird if they are too far away but so be it.
I really like the 2 shots you posted and it has made me want it even more now.

This is the lens on my must have list. I had a Tamron 150/600mm but had a fall and it smashed.
And I have had this one on my list and now it on the top.
I want to do birds and wildlife as well as sports or action shots.

From what I have read it should see my right, I know I will miss a few bird if they are too far away but so be it.
I really like the 2 shots you posted and it has made me want it even more now.

Personally for birds and sports I think you’d be much better served by a 300 or 400mm prime. Even then you’ll still miss birds.

200mm is not nearly enough for tight bird shots. I found that 600mm on a crop sensor was often not long enough, honestly.

Point taken and understood. I am getting a lot slower now and this will give me the chance to get to a spot and wait for a while. Most of the time when I am out I never take my tripod or monopod so I have to hand hold. Yep I should take it more I know but when I head out its really the last thing I think of.
My camera has got a built in 2x teleconverter.
And I recently got a P900 which will cover a few of the points you have said Destin. Thanks for your views on this also, as it helps a hell of a lot.

Most reactions

Back