pasta with pesto of basil and chicken prepared at home

Is it bad to have a warmer WB? What about the blurry DOF on the background? I thought It would be nice to suggest the ingredients (since I want to "talk" about the cooking process), but not stealing the attention from the main subject. And yes, I was using the Nifty-Fifty lens.
Good to know that I've chosen well :)

No it's not bad to have a warmer WB if that's what you want. In this photo your WB looks very good. The plate is certainly white and the color of the pasta and basil leaf look right. There's no way in this case to actually take a measurement. The plate can be measured with an assumption that it's white but it's not a spectrally neutral WB target and so that measurement isn't going to mean too much. Another factor that strongly suggests the WB is good is that you used flash which is a controlled light source of a standardized color.

Joe

Photoshop, Lightroom and Camera Raw. I usually duplicate the layer, then I transform it with high pass, then I use sharpening filter, then I overlay it. But it often makes the photo noisy and harsh.

Or:
Once you have the high pass try it without the sharpening. Just set the layer blending to Overlay and use the opacity to fade the effect. This allows you to re-size and adjust the opacity to suit. If you use the high pass in conjunction with USM then you should re-size before applying, and again use opacity to fade the effect.

Delicious, and yea you can adjust it a little in Photoshop, but still mmmmmmm...I want some! :D

Is it bad to have a warmer WB? What about the blurry DOF on the background? I thought It would be nice to suggest the ingredients (since I want to "talk" about the cooking process), but not stealing the attention from the main subject. And yes, I was using the Nifty-Fifty lens.

No it's not bad to have a warmer WB if that's what you want. In this photo your WB looks very good. The plate is certainly white and the color of the pasta and basil leaf look right. There's no way in this case to actually take a measurement. The plate can be measured with an assumption that it's white but it's not a spectrally neutral WB target and so that measurement isn't going to mean too much. Another factor that strongly suggests the WB is good is that you used flash which is a controlled light source of a standardized color.

Joe

24271854891_76fa13dae4_k.jpg

Joe

View attachment 114391
Sharpened!

Joe

View attachment 114391
Sharpened!

Looks good. If you used the sharpening method I suggested here's another tip: Since the sharpening is applied with a 2nd layer, you also have the option to add a layer mask to the sharpening layer and only sharpen the parts of the photo that benefit -- eg. use a layer mask to keep the sharpening off the out of focus background where all you're really doing is sharpening noise.

Joe

Most reactions

Back