Pelicans in Flight

SpaceNut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
These photos were taken when Clark Kent & I were on a trip to the "Eagle Migration" in Southern Illinois. A group of pelicans were feeding in the water when 3 of them took off and flew over my head. I barely had time to point my camera and take a picture. I didn't realize the pelicans had black under the wings until they took to the air. C/C welcome & thanks for looking.

Pelicans-looking-for-lunch-1036.jpg

Pelican-soaring-high-1059.jpg

Pelican-in-flight-1079.jpg

Great shots! You had some pretty skies in the flying ones. You must have caught these guys right in the middle of breeding season, that hump (upper mandible plate) is on only half of them and they loose it shortly after laying thier eggs. Interesting tid-bit. :lol:

MHarvey, thanks for the "tid-bit". Always interested in learning more. The 1st 2 days were very cloudy (and cold). The sun was out on our 3rd day (and a little warmer). Thanks for the comment!

Wow...we always learn something new on every trip. I had a blast going down there. And yes...these are fantastic captures...I wish I had captured them as well as you did. Great work

Very nice. Colors, sharpness etc. Awesome.....

Thanks Scooter. I had better luck with pelicans than I did with the eagles. But it was fun!

Most reactions

Back