pentax dslr

rppaint

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have any input on pentax dslrs? everyone always talks about nikon and cannon.

I have never regretted buying my K100D over a D40 or Rebel XT. Even though I am currently trying to sell it (the upgrade bug bites everyone), I have gotten great results for the past two years. They don't generate as much buzz because they don't market as heavily, but there are plenty of us who believe their equipment stacks up just fine against Canon or Nikon.

Yeah, I've heard the K200D and K20D are awesome bodies for the price :) It's a pity, there's not as many lenses for them as Canon or Nikon

Pentax cameras are known for high bang for the buck value... this is especially true for their higher end bodies (K20D) when compared to equally featured Canon and Nikons. If you don't mind focusing and turning the aperture ring, the K-mount manual lenses are plentiful with excellent optics for rock bottom prices in the used market.

It's a pity, there's not as many lenses for them as Canon or Nikon

I never did understand this point... do Canon and Nikon users plan on "collecting" the entire line of lenses? As long as their are lenses for that system that fit your needs, the absolute totally number of lenses available on the market is not even a concern.

I used to deal in used Canon equipment with over a dozen lenses in my possession over a time period (yes... hand in the cookie jar type thing). I never saw my "arsenal" (as some people call it) as an advantage and I always ended up shooting with a few that fitted my needs.

Sigma does have a selection of Pentax DSLR compatible lenses now:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_chart.asp

Oh yeh... part of the reason why you don't hear much about them is due to Pentax playing their cards and loosing out much of the PROFESSIONAL market to other manufacturers (Minolta in the 80s, Canon and nikon in the 90s to present). Seeing equipment in use by news media outlets and professionals is one of the most effective forms of marketing.

I am a big Pentax fan and collector (stuff prior to the 80s).... good stuff back then. Horrible business decisions and marketing.

I never did understand this point... do Canon and Nikon users plan on "collecting" the entire line of lenses? As long as their are lenses for that system that fit your needs, the absolute totally number of lenses available on the market is not even a concern.

I have always seen it that a newer photographer with little experience just does not always know what their interests are to plan ahead. There are a lot of different areas of photography with different kit demands and when starting out one might have an idea as to a direction to go in - but experiences along the way might reveal new areas of interest.
Happened with me - never thought I would enjoy macro photography.

Thank you all for your input! When my mom died, I inherited her old k1000's and zx-10. She always loved photography, but never did get the hang of it. I really like the k1000's but the film is kind of a pain, since I don't know how to develop. I love taking pictures, and think i would I would do it more if I had a digital slr, but i really like the way film looks. My point and shoot aggravates me sometimes because i know what "real" cameras are capable of! Is there really that big of a difference in slr and dslr?
Sorry for the single paragraph and incoherant thoughts! lol:mrgreen:

]Is there really that big of a difference in slr and dslr?
[/LEFT]

By "slr" do you mean film SLR? If so, then yes... Film versus digital debate begins at this point. Both are fairly different.

If you shoot B&W, it is easy and inexpensive to develop negatives. You can then run them through a scanner and work them digitally. Many people do this for the look of B&W film but the convenience of digital.

BTW... I am seeing used K10D for under $400 bucks now. That is ALOT of camera for well under $400 and you can continue to use the lenses you already have.

Yeah, I meant film vs. digital. I was thinking of buying a new k200d body, that's why I was asking for info, I wanted to use the lenses I already have (at least to start)

Last edited:
Do it! you wont have any regrets... Pentax cameras are very nice and the lenses are top grade i hear.

I shoot nikon but had i known the money i would/could have saved by choosing a different system i would have been happy to. But I am in school as a finance major and dont anticipate making photography my main source of income

I have the K10D. I bought it after trying to decide between the Rebel XSi, the K10D, and the D80. I chose the Pentax because it fit me the best, the quality was by far the best, plus the weather sealing, and in-body IS which works on any lens, including the long line of older MF lenses available for cheap. The twin control dials, Hyper-manual, and top mounted LCD added sweetness to the deal.

If you shoot sports, and need really fast AF, the K10d might not be your best bet, but I love mine, and have had no regrets on buying it.

RD

I have been well pleased with Pentax. I started with the ME Super 35mm. I later got an *ist 35mm (which didn't have much of a run for some reason, but is a really nice, fully featured 35mm). I then bought an *ist DS which was one of their first digital SLRs. My primary camera is now the k10D. I still have all of them, and if I did more paying gigs, I would probably get the k20d as a primary.

I really don't see why it has to permanent decision. People always make it seem that once you make your choice, you are stuck with it b/c of all the $ you invest in glass. That just isn't true. I've been very picky with my lens choices, and bought only top dollar lenses. If I decided to switch to Nikon tomorrow, I could probably get 90% of my cash back on my lenses. High end glass doesn't really drop in price. The body on the other hand, I would recoup little to none, but that is the same as any other body. A 5 year old DSLR body isn't worth much on the used market. So, you already have glass, drop a few hundred bucks on a k10d and see if you like it. If not, you're not out that much.

I've owned several Pentax SLR cameras. Film and digital. I have never been disappointed with any of them. Any of the old lenses, will fit on my new K20D. The weather sealing is really nice and I think they feel a lot better than the comparably priced Canon or Nikon. There are plenty of lenses to choose from for a Pentax user. Maybe not for a professional photographer, but there's more lenses than any amateur could ever use.

I ordered a new k200d tonight! It says it will use any pentax lens, how does it work with the old heavy manual lenses? Does anyone know?

It depends on WHICH lens. With K Mount lenses, just twist 'em on, and go. If it is a fully manual lens, such as the SMC or SMC-M series, or old Takumar screw mount lenses, you will have to go into the custom menu, and find "Allow aperture ring" and set that to "permitted" Also look for FI with S lens used, set that to available. Just leave it there, no need to change it back when you go back to an AF lens. Also, you'll need an adapter if you want to use the M42 screw mount lenses, don't go cheap on these, get the genuine Pentax adapter. It works better than any other. Here is the link to the Pentax E-Store for the adapter: PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet).
Once you mount the lens, there are two ways to meter. If it is a screw mount Takumar, you can meter in AV mode, now, you will probably have to take a few test shots, and set some Exposure compensation, but once you get it, you can just focus, and shoot. With K Mount lenses, you'll need to shoot in M mode, set the aperture you want on the lens, then press the AE/L button to set your shutter speed.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back