Pentax *IST DS2

stanthecaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for my first DSLR, and after some searching the *ist DS2 looks to likely be my first choice. I was wondering how it performs at high ISO and low light conditions, that require high shutter speeds. (hockey arenas, gyms, night football games).

If you know of a different camera that will work better in those areas please let me know, because I could have picked the completely wrong camera for that.

thanks,
joseph

Do you have a lot of Pentax glass? Why a Pentax over a Nikon or Canon? The latter have a wider range of glass and accessories, and a better and longer track record in digital.

I dont have any glass whatsoever. I'm looking for a rather inexpensive "starter" dslr so the only nikons or canons i would consider are the Nikon D50, and the Canon digital rebel , and possibly the digital rebel XT.

After looking around I'm switching my preference more towards the digital rebel XT and the D50 rather than the pentax after considering what you said. And comparing the three.

so, now my question is which of those two (the D50 or the EOS 350D) would perform best if used mainly for sports/action photography, and in the poor light conditions mentioned before.

-joseph

I can't speak for Canon, I'm a Nikon shooter. I think either would be OK but you might be disappointed with any of the three you mentioned with time. My preference would be the D70. The D50 would do anything you ask it to, but I think the D70 would make you a lot happier. I am sure a Canon shooter will be along and give you an opinion on their brand. One thing I would recommend you do is go to a good shop and hold one of each. See how it feels in your hand. For sports you will want something rugged and substantial to hold on to. One reason I like Nikon is the metallic chassis and solid feel of the cameras body. The D50 and 350 are both a little smallish and hard to hold onto in the ruff-n-tumble action of sports photography. The D70 had a little more to hold onto, but both the D50 and D70 are solid build cameras.

I currently shoot a Pentax *istD. It performs very well in low light/high iso situations and the DS2 is probably better, as the D is now 2 years old.

I bought the Pentax because at the time its main competition seemed flawed- the Nikon D100 reputedly had "soft" pics (matter of interpretation/understanding, turned out to be untrue) and the Canon 10D had focus problems. Pentax had a sterling reputation for its older film cams and the ergos were good so I went with the D.

While I've been happy with it, I'm less than thrilled with Pentax's strategy (or apparent lack of one) for their dslr line. As others move forward, Pentax seems to move backward (if at all). The DS was a step back from the D in many features and the DL is a step back from that. They killed nearly the entire line of AF lenses and have been pretty slow in replacing them, though the replacements are very worthy.

But, seeing as I'm getting older & not younger every day, I don't feel that I can wait around for Pentax to define an upgrade path from my D to something better. Not to denegrate Canon (because they make fine cameras/lenses) but they've just never appealed to me. The Nikons seem more user friendly/ergonomic to me.

But now Nikon has the D200 coming in December and Pentax is rumored to have a D replacement coming around the first of the year. Will it fill my needs? I don't know, but I have my doubts. If it doesn't I'll be switching to Nikon.

Now, having put you off Pentax, I'll say that it depends on what you want in a dslr. If you don't plan to buy a ton of glass and don't expect the latest & greatest to show up every 12-18 months then it's a viable option. A Pentax, like nearly every other dslr made, will deliver stunning pictures for you. It boils down to what you want to do with it and how much of a "system" you need with/for it.

I went with the Canon Dig Rebel because of Pentax dragging their feet. I would be thrilled though if they got their act together and updated the *istD properly!!!!

Somebody let me know if Pentax ever does figure out what they are gonna do!!!!

jstuedle, is there a big difference between the D70 and the D70s?

No, the D70s has some firmware improvements and a slightly bigger LCD on the back. The D70 can have the firmware "flashed" to bring it up to the D70s, it's a free download. The "s" is a minor upgrade, and the image output is exactly the same.

I have not been in the market for a while. But it seems that when the 70s was introduced the D70 was discounted a couple of hundred US. I don't know if that is still the case. There may not be any left to sell new, so the used market might have some deals.

alright, i might look at used. Yeah, i havent saw any D70 on the sites I've looked at so the probaly dont sell them any more.

Most reactions

Back