If someone asked which would make a better car on a track... and specifically mentioned CIVIC and PORSCHE, then you'd be an idiot to recommend the Civic on the idiotic notion that they may not know any better.
So you're saying you'd send a 16yr old wanna-be (who wouldn't know any better) out on the Nürburgring in a Porche that can pull easily 200 mph, while the Civic (max 120) which is clearly the better/safer STARTER car sits on the sideline waiting for the noob to crash the porche?
Is it "idiotic" to suggest that the better option is not necessarily the best medium in which to participate?
You're saying you'd give a person that's got zero photo experience (not necessarily the OP, just in general) a K-7 and NOT expect them to be frustrated as hell with say, underexposed images, or plain flat dull images, but I'll be darned...they're in focus!
I'm not SAYING the K-x is the BETTER camera...I'm saying it's the better choice for a BEGINNER. It's a GOOD choice for ANYONE, but the K-7 is the BETTER camera.
The poster didn't ask if they should by a K-X (Civic). They asked if they should buy a (Civic) or K-7 (Porsche). Considering that they are interested in using vintage manual focus lenses (drive on track), the obvious answer would be the K-7 (Porsche) because it serves their purposes better since it is equipped with a Prism viewfinder.
Do you really think if a person has to ASK which is better, they are ready for "the best" ? C'mon.....again you put the 16yr old into a Porche and watch the failure happen.
and its a straw man argument because arguing whether or not a Civic is worthy of a buyer's interest is an easier argument to win but has little to do with the discussion.
It's not supposed to have anything to do with the discussion, it's called an analogy....an example to make the discussion a bit easier to understand. Being a car-guy myself, the car analogy was my logical choice. Apparently, the analogy wasn't effective.
a convincing argument that the K-X is a clearer choice over the K-7 in terms of use with manual focus lenses.
Again, you misunderstand my intent, maybe I didn't convey my point clear enough.
It's NOT Good vs. Bad = K-7 vs. K-x
It IS Good vs. Better = K-x vs. K-7
I fall back on the fact that the OP has to ASK which is better....which leads ME to believe that he doesn't NEED the "best" option, it's a waste until he's able to fully use it, THUS...the K-x, which is still a GOOD option for manual focusing (providing you do the focusing screen mod and your eyes don't suck) would be the better choice IN THIS CASE, for a beginner.
You need to open you mind and consider that not everyone is like you...
Fair enough, I'll open my mind. I ask that you do the same. Would you agree that someone asking which camera is better is probably not in NEED of the "best"?
I don't know if you have kids or not, but I sure as hell wouldn't put my daughter into a Porche for her first car....she'll be driving a '72 Buick if I have my choice. A big, safe, boat. Easy to drive, easy to learn. Then...she can upgrade when her skills get better.
There are tons of people who do... I do (Leica M-mounts, M42, K-mount). MFLenses.com is an entire forum dedicated to it (although I don't like it there). Many of those MF lenses will put modern AF lenses to shame. Obviously the poster who asked about the KX versus K-7 also is interested in using MF lenses. Pentaxforums.com is also filled with people who do the same for Takumars and K-mounts.
And now this is just a spitting contest. You win, good sir, you're absolutely correct. The K-7 is the superior camera in every possible way.
Good luck in your decision OP, happy shooting! :mrgreen:
I'm done. :waiting: