Pentax k100d

slaveflash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am considering getting a Pentax k100d because it accepts my collection of old lenses, my collection of old SD memory cards, and runs on AA batteries. I can get the European version for under $300, but I understand it displays Japanese rather than English. Does anyone have experience with this unit? Will a firmware upgrade (done via SD card) allow me to switch to English, or is there a fundamental difference between the two? For $300 it is a good use of old junk, but the American version of the same will cost about $500.

Display is Japanese instead of english? It does sound to me like someone is pulling you leg.

Mind you "the display is Japanese" is a trick often used by bait-n-switchers who advertise a ludicrously low price and then try to tell you that what you bought is an import with a Japanese display and you need to pay x more to get an English version.

Caveat emptor if this is the situation you are in.

Yeah, this sounds fishy... more like Herring than Sushi, btw. Why would the European version be in Japanese?? LOL, we have plenty of our own languages here.

Well, it sounds like bait and switch to me also - so I thought I would see if anyone had the "Japanese" or "European" model. I would like a cheap spare camera with great lenses, but I think I might want to be able to read the displays.

They can all do the various languages, it's just a menu item that you scroll to and activate. You're being tricked.

The Pentax is a nice camera, esp. if you already own good lenses.

I'm a European type and bought a K100d from a shop here in Europe-land, so I must have the "European" version... All the text in menus are most definitely in English, and as Iron says the language can be changed.

Like everyone else said, it sounds like a big scam by big scamming scumbags. Apparently this sort of thing is completely legal. :confused:

P.s. The K100D Super (slightly updated version of the K100d) is actually available from B&H for $469.95... and until the end of January there is also a rebate of $100. Not a bad price... And with the advantage of buying from a respected company and getting what you order, instead of from a bunch of @ssholes who want to rip you off. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back