pentax K10D or Nikon D40

ir0n_ma1den

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry for having to make another one of these threads but I had to do it :D.

Anyways, these are the final two cameras that I have chosen. The D40 is cheaper, has a faster flash sync speed, uses Nikon lenses, but cannot AF with all Nikon glass. The K10D has more MP, weatherproofing, superfine JPEG, built-in IS, higher FPS, and special things like live view.

Which would you choose considering lens selection, future upgrades,etc.

thanks

I like the Nikon lens line better, even considering the limitations of the D40... I also like the flashes a LOT better.

Welcome another Virginian to the forum! Between the 2 cameras, I went Pentax and am very happy with the k10d. If you are considering who has more options as far as glass, between the 2 it's obviously Nikon. However, even though Pentax is limited compared to Canon and Nikon in variety, many will say the quality of the lenses they do have is top of the line. Future upgrades is somewhat a moot point b/c all manufacturers will tend to either keep up w/ the herd or will die. I think over the last few years, Pentax has really caught up and raised the bar for the rest of the class though. The k10d and the new k20d will be hard to compare to similarly priced competitors. Basically I guess it comes down to which lens line you want to invest in. Less choices with Pentax, but really nice quality. Greater selection w/ Nikon though.

Body v. Body, I think Pentax is the winner over the d40.

I'll now step aside while all the nikonians come tell you why I'm wrong and why you need a nikon.

^lol. The thing is, I really like the new innovative features that the K10D offers, ,but technical points such as flash sync speed is where the k10d lacks (1/180 vs the D40 1/500), but i really don't know how important flash sync speed is and if I will use it to its full advantage.

And then there is the good ol' nikon side of thing where you have their great lenses ( but pricey).

S U C H A H A R D C H O I C E

Here is the tech comparison between the two :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_d40%2Cpentax_k10d&show=all

if your still having doubts check out dpreview.com they have side by side comparison charts and in-depth reviews

Definitely do for the K10D if you can afford it. The in-body IS, Pentaprism (instead of pentamirror) viewfinder, weather proofing, better feel (larger & heavier), higher resolution, in body focusing motor and more physical controls make it worth the money. If you can afford the Pentax buy it. (I don't have enough money right now so I'm going for a D40 or K100D :( )

they are not in the same segment ...

invest in the future - D40

^ that is my main doubt right now. I know that the K10D is a bit better than the D40, but what about the future?

Also, looking at image tests through DPreview, there is a noticeable image quality difference with the D40 in the lead.

Pentax 100%. The D40 is weak sauce. Don't listen to the naysayers, Pentax has some very good lenses. The Nikon flashes are better, but you'll only start to see that with off camera lighting, in which case it doesn't matter what brand of camera you buy (I use Nikon flashes with Canon all the time).

Most reactions

Back