people watching - railway photography

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys! I haven't been here for ages! And I missed yous o much! Sorry for my absence, but I've been lately very much into my private "real", not virtual life, that I just turned on the pc to upload pics and that's all.
So here are a few from my recent trip to small village Wolsztyn. there is a museum of old locomotives from teh beginnings of XX century. and there was a great fest because of 100th anniversary of the locomotive factory built there.
please comment and criticise :-D
IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

And if anyone is interested in this kind of photography, I strongly recommend an 4th International Railway Photography Contest, organized by Szczecin Photographic Society in Poland. More information can be found at:
the organizer's page

3 and 4 are the winners in my eyes ... with 4 leading far ahead! :)

would also fit into the new b&w gallery :)

3 and 4 again. Wonderful shots. I also really like no.1.

3 and 4 are great, but I also like no. 1 a lot.

Dani.

:thumbup: #3

I guess I am just wierd I really like #1

I'll be weird with you: my favourite is #1 too. Don't know why but the guy with the backpack and dog is very out of place IMO, and in the one with the guy drinking I find the person kneeling distracting (other than that I love that pic).

pascal

So Im curious. Did these people know you were taking their picture? If they didnt how did they react if they noticed? I only ask because Id really like to take more pictures of people I see in everyday places but Im concerened with adverse reactions and how to handle them if they occur. Any advice?

So Im curious. Did these people know you were taking their picture? If they didnt how did they react if they noticed? I only ask because Id really like to take more pictures of people I see in everyday places but Im concerened with adverse reactions and how to handle them if they occur. Any advice?

Well... it was a huge fest with tousands of people with their point and shoot cameras and only a few with dslr, so we were definitely noticed by the crowd. Here the law is like that: you can take a photo of a person wherever/whenever you want...you can even fire a flash in front of their face and it is still legal.

People there didn't react with anger, sometimes they even posed.
The "hole' in Polish law is that you cannot publish somebodies pic without their permission BUT the exception is when it is a public place/event or the person doesn't cover the most of the photo (so the person and a bit of background is visible).

Of course sometimes I have problems with taking photos of kids - often mommies do not want their kids to be photographed and they get very furious. I always talk to them in a friendly way, I show them the pics and in most cases...they gave me their emails to send them the pictures because they liked them a lot! Nobody can force you to delete the photos.
Actually...in PL it is illegal only to publish a photo of somebody in private place (like through the window to somebodies bedroom).

And...if there are big and agressive guys...I prefer not to discuss with them but RUN!

Thanks for the response Mentos. Im not worried about the legality of the process as much as the human interaction side. I feel uncomfortable about taking the pictures but its the ones I want the most. Do you feel a little odd when you frame a stranger who has no idea youre about to take their picture?

Yayyy, Mentos is posting again! Have missed seeing you on the forum. Another vote for #4, and I also like 1 and 3.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back