Perfect lens for 5DS/5DSR?

Omy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All!
New user here hoping to benefit from your collective wisdom. I've decided to buy either a Canon 5ds or 5dsr because I plan to print landscape shots on self adhesive vinyl and cover interior walls. I've tested shots from other cameras and other than the Nikon D800 (haven't tried medium format but way out of my budget), they just don't cut it. Believe the Canon is the one for me but also open to opinion.
I'm now considering glass. What would you choose for under $3000?
Thanks for looking :)

Between the both, I would get the D810.
If I had to pick any camera for landscape photography - A7R II
as for lenses, it very much depends on your sense of aesthetic.
if you like wide angle go with 11-24 or (14-24 Nikon). Anyone of their pro lenses work fine.
I test out a 5Ds for 2 weeks and put it against my D810.
Not even in the same ball park in terms of quality.

Hi All!
New user here hoping to benefit from your collective wisdom. I've decided to buy either a Canon 5ds or 5dsr because I plan to print landscape shots on self adhesive vinyl and cover interior walls. I've tested shots from other cameras and other than the Nikon D800 (haven't tried medium format but way out of my budget), they just don't cut it. Believe the Canon is the one for me but also open to opinion.
I'm now considering glass. What would you choose for under $3000?
Thanks for looking :)

The Canon 5Ds is nice and probably the best but are you sure you need all the megapixels? They used to scale easily up billboard pictures with software like Genuine Fractals. (now OnOne) Also it's more about lens and lighting and $3,000 would buy a very nice lens.
24-70 2.8 zoom?
a good large aperture "L" prime? (if you have the 'room')

Last edited:
For ultrawide, I would look to Nikon's 14-24, or Tamron's 15-30. The two lenses are nearly identical in performance. On Canon, that would be Canon's 11-24, or Tamron's 15-30 (Canon's 16-35 lenses don't perform on the same level as Tamron's 15-30).

For telephoto, I would look to Nikon's 70-200 VR-ii, or Tamron's 70-200 VC. On Canon's that's the most up to date 70-200 f2.8 lens.

For anything else, if you *really* want peak sharpness in that $3000 or under range, then look to primes:
35mm f1.4 Art (Sigma)
50mm f1.4 Art (Sigma)
etc... etc... (mostly Sigma Art lenses for absolute peak sharpness performance)

Don't forget your filters too (ND filters and polarizers and graduated filters, depending on if you want to do longer exposure or not).

Between the both, I would get the D810.
If I had to pick any camera for landscape photography - A7R II
as for lenses, it very much depends on your sense of aesthetic.
if you like wide angle go with 11-24 or (14-24 Nikon). Anyone of their pro lenses work fine.
I test out a 5Ds for 2 weeks and put it against my D810.
Not even in the same ball park in terms of quality.

Many thanks for your thoughts. I was quite surprised as I'd assumed the newer and more expensive canon would be a better shout than the d810 but you've made me rethink. The greater number of pixels (5ds) seems to be balanced out by the slightly larger pixel size (d810) which was a priority. It seems you're not alone and reviews comparing both would agree. Many thanks again for this and the lens advice.

For ultrawide, I would look to Nikon's 14-24, or Tamron's 15-30. The two lenses are nearly identical in performance. On Canon, that would be Canon's 11-24, or Tamron's 15-30 (Canon's 16-35 lenses don't perform on the same level as Tamron's 15-30).

For telephoto, I would look to Nikon's 70-200 VR-ii, or Tamron's 70-200 VC. On Canon's that's the most up to date 70-200 f2.8 lens.

For anything else, if you *really* want peak sharpness in that $3000 or under range, then look to primes:
35mm f1.4 Art (Sigma)
50mm f1.4 Art (Sigma)
etc... etc... (mostly Sigma Art lenses for absolute peak sharpness performance)

Don't forget your filters too (ND filters and polarizers and graduated filters, depending on if you want to do longer exposure or not).
Very helpful! Thanks :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back