Petri 7s rangefinder problem

This is dragging out an old subject, but it needed re-vitallising (heh heh !)
Way back in 1965, in Goroka, New Guinea, I bought a Petri 7s, I used that camera for about 25 years & it was perfect for what I needed. In 1987 I upgraded to a Pentax ( forgotten the model, it's at my daughter's place ) & since then have been through 3 Fuji digital cameras.
The reason for awakening this forum subject is that recently I finally found my Petri again, after many years in a forgotten cupboard. I got it out of it's box & it's still in excellent condition and seems to work OK. When I bought it, the retailer told me that it had a small mercury battery which was used to power the exposure meter, & sold me a spare battery. (it's now useless).I have looked everywhere to find out where this battery goes, but to no avail. I was surfing the internet looking for information & I'm beginning to think that there is no battery in the camera. I have seen a couple of sites with manuals & diagrams of the camera, but none mention a battery. I'm further convinced of this as the exposure meter & the range finder are still working, although the range finder is faded & slightly out of line. (surely no battery would still be working after 44 years).
I would be gratefull if anybody on this forum can put me on the right track & tell me if there's a battery or not in this camera.
Many thanks Ken 7

Awe.. you had me thinking mysteryscribe had returned to the TPF...

Mercury batteries have been banned from the US for years. There are options for alternatives but not all of them have identical voltages which might result in a slightly over or under exposure reading. PhotoBattery.com Home Page is a good resource.

Thanks for that Mitica, sure looks like that bloke didn't know what he was talking about when he sold me a "spare" battery.

Usayit, Mercury batteries have also been banned in Australia for many years. New Guinea has some weird & wonderful regulations in this day & age, let alone over 40 years ago!

Thanks for your replies

You're quite welcome, Ken. Enjoy the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back