Photo and video color matching with same camera advice

fotoloupe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I'm here asking an advice since I think I tried everything.

occasionally I deal with catalog photography of small objects.
I own a nikon d-3300 with a 17-50 sigma and adequate strobe lighting.
the *fundamental* thing for me is to have pictures with realistic colors of the products that will then published on the web.
it does not matter if the user who sees them will not have a calibrated monitor, the important is that the image provided has correct colors.

periodically I perform the monitor calibration / verification and camera color profile calibration with the classic colorchecker, applying it on lightroom.
as for the photos, I have no problems: the colors are realistic and I am satisfied.

the fact is that now I need to make some very short films of a few seconds (I have and use enough continuous incandescent light).
naturally I gauge white with pre-measurement when I switch from strobe to continuous.

problem: the colors do not match to the photos, even after calibration with the 3d lut creator for premiere and the colorchecker.
the video colors are so different from the photo that it seems that not even the calibration can correct them.
the video doesn't even seem remotely close to the photographic result, very little vividness, a disappointing result.
it looks like it was shot with another camera.

now, I realize that the d-3300 is not a modern camera (at least for the video part): it seems to handle the photo and video part in two completely different ways and that the video function is more of an extra than a real feature.

what do you recommend to obtain same colors in video and photo?
another camera?
a mirrorless (using the sensor always in live I assume that photos and videos colors are identical)
what else?

I have no experience with video so I ask you for sincere advice!

Greetings to all in advance!

The largest video size on the D3300 is 1080p (1920x1080) The largest photo size 6000x4000. The difference you are seeing is probably due to compression. Do you shoot raw photos? I googled your camera and it doesn't have the option for 4k raw video. You may want to check the image options if set to Neutral and not Vivid, etc. It will not effect your raw photos, but will effect the video.

Thanks for your reply CherylL.
The resolution difference is a good point.
And yes, I always shoot in raw to apply the camera color profile in lightroom.
The camera doesn't have 4k RAW but only 1080p. The video section seems quite basic.
The image options are already set to neutral, maybe I can tweak them to find the best settings, but I fear there is not much I can obtain at this point.

Thanks for your reply CherylL.
The resolution difference is a good point.
And yes, I always shoot in raw to apply the camera color profile in lightroom.
The camera doesn't have 4k RAW but only 1080p. The video section seems quite basic.
The image options are already set to neutral, maybe I can tweak them to find the best settings, but I fear there is not much I can obtain at this point.

The camera is processing your 1080p file as it would a .jpg at that size. Some cameras you have 4k options with profiles. My Sony 4x100iv has many profile options for S-log video. I recently got the Fuji X-T4 and haven't looked into its 4k options. I don't know which cameras would give you close matching of raw and 4k video. That has never been my concern. Maybe a video editing forum would have your answer.

What Picture Profile are you shooting in? Video is typically shot with a flat or log curve and all adjustments are done in post.

I am not familiar with Premier but it should allow you to correct contrast and colour balance. When you sample white target on your Colour checker what are the RGB values? Are your continuous lamps actually tungsten sources, ie, real cine bulbs or just household bulbs? I am assuming you are not using LED’s.

Most reactions

Back