Photo Assignment- SPORTING EVENT- Due July 30

Nope, those are actually another friend's ski's. I was snowboarding that day and we had spotted this awesome jump... so photo time!

I too am a sucker for the textures. It's the sharpness of the photo that I still can't get past.

Thanks so much for the compliments!

I especially like this one.

Might I ask with what kit have you been snapping these? And do you recall a general shutter speed, f/stop, ISO?

Thank you, John.
If I remember right, I firmly set the camera to f8 on the Saturday (which is when this photo was taken) and had the camera decide on the shutter speed of its own accord. I felt it was time to go back to some kind of semi-automatic (my choice was "aperture priority", wasn't it?), for I would not have had the TIME to do too many things manually and NOT lose most of the scenes. (I lost a good many, anyway, where they had their arms in front of their faces, or actually still - or again - had their faces under water, or where - in the case of the fastest races - there were only white bubbles to be seen, but no faces :roll: ;) ).

I worked with the Sigma 70-300mm lens for most of the time, and had it pulled out quite far often to zoom in on the individual swimmers, so DOF was still fairly shallow, even at f8.

So on Sunday, which was a SUNNY day (unlike larger parts of Saturday), I went to f13 and could still use the polariser to beat the reflections, and shutter speed was still fast enough. Ah, and ISO was at 200 ... and I could go look up the shutter speed for this particular photo for you, but don't know it by heart.

OK, went to find that particular photo for you, John, and looked it up:

f8, 1/320sec, ISO 200, 190mm (taken with the 350D and the Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro).

OK, went to find that particular photo for you, John, and looked it up:

f8, 1/320sec, ISO 200, 190mm (taken with the 350D and the Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro).
Wow, thanks.

Choosing aperture priority seems to have worked well. The camera chose a shutter speed fast enough to stop most action, but allowed some blurring of hands and water.

I wish here in the US, Canon had gone with naming their Rebels as they've done in Europe. It's so much easier to track 300D, v 350D, v 450D.

Again, thanks for the info. It causes me to want to play with aperture priority rather than shutter priority for snapping football, to see what develops.

281813973_RaGAP-X3.jpg

281813852_vz33K-X3.jpg

Brilliant.

ISO, shutter speed, aperture?

I'm guessing manual focus, and you pre-focused, knowing where the rider would be as you panned and released the shutter?

And nice touch sampling the red from the bike for the border accent in the second image.

Most reactions

Back