photo competitions

stumpjumper21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i was wondering what are some photo competitions (of any style) that are running right now. i would hope they are free but whatever works.

thanks

Worth 1000 has contests a lot.

There's also TPF's monthly contest.

I think Google would also be a good place to ask.

A few tips about competitions:

1) if the competition asks for a fee for entrants (as well as your photo submission) then make sure you are dealing with a big and well recognised legitimate company. In short be sensible and check things out first

2) read the terms and conditions for the competition (boring I know but read it) in particular check the section for rights regarding submitted images - many companies (big ones and small ones) will try to use an image competition and prize as an image library harvesting method - with all images being submitted losing the owners rights.
Many will say that you give a limited licence for promotion and display of hte image with regard to the competition, and that is fine; but make sure your not giving them a Royalty-free licence to distrubute and use your image for any uses (or even sell them on to 3rd parties) as that will strip you of any possible income from the image and also strip you of any fees for image use which would normally be due to you - and don't think that just because you are an amateur that such things are not for you to worry about - defend your image rights :)

The only times that I would consider wavering on the above were if the company were something like a charity organisation - then I might be willing to make a donation of my image through the competition. This is a personal choice though so make your own mind up about it

As usual Mr Overread has it right. I dont even load images to cmaera manufacturers sites. Some of them also write themselves unlimited use for advertising and, not paying you a dime.

Most reactions

Back