photo developing too fast (8sec..)

lieven van meulder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi all,

I'm pretty new to film photography.
My first prints were very greyish. Then i reduced the developing from 1 minute, normally , to just 8 seconds...
Then i get a more or less descent print out of it.
But in only 8 seconds i have no real blacks and still bit grey.
I also can't dodge and burn , because of the very limited time i get to develop my photo.

Furthermore i completely darkened my room . Even put the safelight off.
What could be the reason i have to develop so short?
If i do a proper exposure of 60 seconds in the enlarger with the light , i get black photos..

hi all,

I'm pretty new to film photography.
My first prints were very greyish. Then i reduced the developing from 1 minute, normally , to just 8 seconds...
Then i get a more or less descent print out of it.
But in only 8 seconds i have no real blacks and still bit grey.
I also can't dodge and burn , because of the very limited time i get to develop my photo.

Furthermore i completely darkened my room . Even put the safelight off.
What could be the reason i have to develop so short?
If i do a proper exposure of 60 seconds in the enlarger with the light , i get black photos..

Attachments

• abc5964-min.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 292
So, you say you got printing issues.
What aperture did you set the lens to?
What kind of paper are you using?
If it is multigrade, what filters are you using.
Did you run some test strips on it ?
Is your developer exhausted ... etc, etc ... more data needed to compile answer.

Your developing time should always be the same. What should change is the exposure time in the enlarger.

I'm thinking you're not stopping your enlarger lens down. Yes, open it up to compose and focus. But then stop it down 2-3 stops below maximum. Run some test strips and see how long a 'good' exposure should be.

hi dxqcanada,

Yes i have printing issues.
Aperture lens F 11 to f22.
Ilford multigrade black and white
i 've put the filter on the enlarger. the magenta filter to 60.
didn't do test strips yet as i suspect it will lay in the same range as my exposure of 8 seconds.
I used Ilford Multigrade developer.

thx for your help.
So, you say you got printing issues.
What aperture did you set the lens to?
What kind of paper are you using?
If it is multigrade, what filters are you using.
Did you run some test strips on it ?
Is your developer exhausted

didn't do test strips yet as i suspect it will lay in the same range as my exposure of 8 seconds.

Developing time has zero to do with exposure time. You should be developing your paper around 60 seconds regardless of exposure time.

Do some proper test strips to get your exposure time down first.

You can _NOT_ develop enlargements for 8 second sin the paper developer--the quality will be very poor. You really, really need to develop an enlargement for at least 60 seconds, and I think 90 seconds is better. That means that the under-enlarger exposure time needs to be much shorter than what you're currently exposing for.

First time in a darkroom? Need info on printing....?? Buy old darkroom books. Cheap and full of info you need.

I got these for $2 each.

olVwOkV.jpg

hi all

I did the test with the coin.
I put a coin on the RC paper and turned off the light even de safelight for 90 seconds. The paper i developed was complete white.
So this proves there's no extra light coming into the darkroom. It is now completely dark.

But i did a nomal test (60 sec exposure with test strips)and with paper and developed it.
20,40 and 60 seconds bands.

Why are the whites , after certain time getting black as well??

You can see the image is still very dark.
The exposure must have been too strong.
Also used the magenta filter on my Enlarger . Did put it to 100/of the max of 130.

Attachments

• DSCF5965.JPG
    DSCF5965.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 262
You need to redo the test strip. 20 seconds is still too overexposed. Try 5 10 and 15 seconds.

You need to redo the test strip. 20 seconds is still too overexposed. Try 5 10 and 15 seconds.

Sorry , i want to have or achieve the proper exposure of 60 seconds or 90 seconds.
For future photos i want to have a good basis to dodge and burn... I can't do that in 5 or 10 seconds..

You'll need to either:

1. stop the lens down further
2. use a different paper
3. use an ND filter in the enlarger
4. use a lower wattage bulb in the enlarger
5. use a dimmer on the enlarger bulb

My enlarger is a Durst M605 .
the enlarger has a set of 3 color filters: Cyan, Magenta and Yellow.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back