Photo Editing Help....Please

dk_hopper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I am very new to photography. I recently purchased a Canon Rebel xti. I do love it, but have a lot to learn. I have been playing with it and took this picture of my son. I know it is not the greatest, but I was hoping with a little editing it could be okay to print up and frame for myself. I have no real clue about editing or what programs are user friendly for beginners. I would love some editing tips and program tips. I would love to see what a good program could do with this picture in black and white. Feel free to edit my picture.

Thanks
dk

Attachments

• $cowboy.jpg
    $cowboy.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 126
  • $Cowboy 1.jpg
    $Cowboy 1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 122
I suggest getting Photoshop Elements. It´s very good value at US$100 and does nearly everything the full pro-version does for US$650.

The biggest advantage is that everyone knows it and can help you...there´s a ton of online resources and tutorials too.

There are of course many others...and other opinions...

You can find useful editing function in freeware program!
For web editing i use Google Picasa or Photomeister that are FREE.

You can find it searching on Google or simply visit a special section
of my website dedicated only to Freeware Graphics Programs

Freeware Programs

Greets
UltraNano

I suggest getting Photoshop Elements. It´s very good value at US$100 and does nearly everything the full pro-version does for US$650.

The biggest advantage is that everyone knows it and can help you...there´s a ton of online resources and tutorials too.

There are of course many others...and other opinions...

I will second this suggestion. Photoshop is an industry standard.

As for the photo. It has an interesting atmosphere to it. I would like to see more face detail. You may be able to make an adjustment in the shadows a bit to bring it up. However, it's always best to manipulate lighting in-camera for the best digital result. A soft-diffused light from under the left side of him would've been perfect. Great effort!

As for the photo. It has an interesting atmosphere to it. I would like to see more face detail. You may be able to make an adjustment in the shadows a bit to bring it up. However, it's always best to manipulate lighting in-camera for the best digital result. A soft-diffused light from under the left side of him would've been perfect.

I agree.
While you can lighten up the face and torso, the eyes are really shadowed and it would be very difficult to lighten them up without making it look unnatural with lots of grain.

Here is some manipulation and with the noise removed.
cowboybbfilteredec7.jpg

Thank you all for the information. I will be looking into getting the Photo shop Elements.

Dk, look into getting a reflector too (the 5 in 1 one would do fine). Here... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253061-REG/Impact_CRK22_22_5_in_1_Reflector.html
This one has black- sometimes less light is better ;).

Using one would have bounced light back into the tyke's eyes enough that you wouldn't need to rework the photo at all. Great photography has been done for many decades with out Photo Shop, Yes there were other things going on but if you get it right in camera You'll like your photos (and your self as a photographer) even more.

mike

Most reactions

Back