Photo entered into contest, they own my image?

Rdnekroses

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A friend wants to enter a photo I took into a contest for her daughter and in reading the rules I see this long statement below. What are your thoughts on this...and is this normal? Am I really signing my photo over to them to use in any way they wish?

Thanks!
Stephanie

Acceptance of a prize shall constitute permission by the winner for Sponsor to use the winner's name, Submission, hometown, likeness, photograph, statements or prize information for advertising and publicity purposes worldwide without limitation and without additional compensation, except where prohibited. No submissions will be returned. No correspondence about submissions will be answered. By entering, you grant an unrestricted, irrevocable, exclusive license to Sponsor, Sponsor's affiliates, partners and designees, and their respective agents and agencies, to publish, use, adapt, edit and/or modify your entry photo(s) in any way, in any and all media worldwide, without limitation and without further compensation. By entering, you also agree that that your name, address (city/state) and photo may be posted on the contest website. You also agree that you will not use entry photo(s) for any purposes other than in connection with this contest or for personal use. By entering, you warrant and represent that you have rights to the submitted photo(s) and that you have obtained all permission necessary for Sponsor to publish or use your photo(s) in any media worldwide, including, but not limited to, permission from all persons depicted in your photo(s) and from any holder of copyrights, trademarks or other rights in materials or other items depicted in your photo(s). By entering, you also agree to confirm to Sponsor any of the above in writing.

YES, this is a fairly typical photo contest entry rule...MOST photo contests are nothing more than a rights grab effort, designed to get loads of free photos donated to the scam artists running the contests.

So...I guess I should allow my friend to use my image. I feel bad, I want her to try and win but I dont want someone else possibly making my photo their property.

Do you think someone would stand a chance winning if they submit a watermarked photo??

Well, if you are in a position to sell the photo yourself, then you should probably hold onto the rights.
But if all it's going to do, is sit on your hard drive for the rest of your life...then what's the harm in letting your friend have some fun entering a contest? And on the odd chance that they do take your image and use it, then at least you get a good story out of it and can pat yourself on the back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back