Photo Insurance

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all-

I've been asked twice for letters of photo insurance. So I guess it's time to get some. Can anyone recommend a good, reputable insurance co. for photographers. Thanks!

I'm in the USA.

I have it tacked onto my homeowner insurance, for a little more, and they cover 15k of gear.

yeah, homeowners insurance is great, unless you're working commercially. In which case you're kind of screwed there (they don't generally like working with that)

Also, when I think of needing letters of insurance they are probably also looking for a liability insurance sort of a thing, so that if somebody trips over your equipment they can get money from your insurance carrier.

Hill & Usher specialize in policies for photographers, even covering non-delivery by yourself or your second photographer for any reason. Both PPA and WPPI have companies they promote and for which there can be a price break for members.

Homeowners policies will cover your gear and gear alone, and only for personal use. As soon as you start shooting in a professional setting or with the intent to commercially benefit, all bets are off. Then, you need commercial property insurance and professional liability insurance. The latter is likely what your clients are asking for. They could care less if you accidentally drop your camera while taking their portrait. What they're more concerned about it being able to sue if your strobe topples over onto their kid's head or the like.

The PPA (professional photographers of america) is a worthwhile professional association to think about joining that also offers discounts on these kinds of insurance.

Join the PPA, they have both lawyers and insurance agents specific to them.

FYI I've had a lot of conversations with my insurance agent about homeowners vs. commercial... what we concluded is with the level of professional work vs. personal work I am doing, that the homeowners was fine. I think it's very variable and depends a lot on your policy and your personal situation. I happen to have the bulk of my "camera time" on personal stuff, so that works out ok.

By the way, be aware of deductibles, specific riders for particular pieces of equipment, etc. In my case I actually have a zero deductible policy, and a specific rider for my camera since it is a particularly expensive piece of equipment.

On another note... Alpha's back! :) Hi Alpha!

FYI I've had a lot of conversations with my insurance agent about homeowners vs. commercial... what we concluded is with the level of professional work vs. personal work I am doing, that the homeowners was fine. I think it's very variable and depends a lot on your policy and your personal situation. I happen to have the bulk of my "camera time" on personal stuff, so that works out ok.

By the way, be aware of deductibles, specific riders for particular pieces of equipment, etc. In my case I actually have a zero deductible policy, and a specific rider for my camera since it is a particularly expensive piece of equipment.

On another note... Alpha's back! :) Hi Alpha!

It doesn't matter what percentage of your time is commercial. If you are doing, or have ever done, any commercial work with your camera, don't rely on your home owners policy to cover it. You will have no liability coverage. The specific rider covers your equip for personnal use, however, you need a business policy if you've ever received, or intend to receive, any compensation.

It doesn't matter what percentage of your time is commercial. If you are doing, or have ever done, any commercial work with your camera, don't rely on your home owners policy to cover it. You will have no liability coverage. The specific rider covers your equip for personnal use, however, you need a business policy if you've ever received, or intend to receive, any compensation.

Sorry, that isn't correct.

I make quite a solid amount of money with my equipment, but I have it under my home owner's insurance and I know for an absolute fact that I am covered. I've done quite a bit of research on it and even had an opportunity to test it.

Trust me, it's not black and white. There is a lot of "it depends" in this area.

Smartest thing you can do is have a frank conversation with your insurance agent to make sure you understand the conditions involved and make a business decision on what makes the most sense for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back