Photo Journalism

Snyder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I noticed that alot of people here that post photos in this catagory of photo journalism I dont see a whole lot of captions to the photos. I know some of you will say the photo will speak for itself and yes I believe that on an emotional level or how powerfull the photo is. Im sure the majority of us here have photography down but that is only half the work. I can write a caption no problem answearing the Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. However that isnt enough now adays. They are wanting full articles written with some photos, ive written a few and found it to be diffacult maybe it will get easier over time. Anyone else ran into the same situation? And is there any good resources, tools, or websites out there to help writing full blown articles?

I dont see a whole lot of captions to the photos.

I noticed this too. I recently got some books from the library on photojournalism and the two things that struck me the most were that the photos weren't always technically spot on (due to the difficult situation in which photographers often find themselves in) and that there was always a very descriptive caption with the photo. These people knew who/what they were photographing, things like natural disasters, people's names. It was like they got personally involved. It also invoked a greater emotional response to the image.

And is there any good resources, tools, or websites out there to help writing full blown articles?

I would be interested too!

Getting the shot is just part of the job. You have to get as much info as you can and be as accurate as possible. I always carry a pad and pen with me and I also carry a small Olympus tape recorder for longer interviews and such.

I find that I am also having to do more writing than I did in the past. A lot of that is due to cutbacks in newsrooms in daily papers all over the country. Also, some of the wire agency work I do, I must write the article as well.

Ya im finding im spending more time behind the computer writing the caption or article then out taking the photo. But with photojournalism you cant stand way back from a distance and take photos you have to get up close and personal and talk to the subject in order to get the information for that photo, thats easy for me I do that everyday. Writing the long arcticles is tough for me so far, basically all I have been doing is the same thing for a caption writing who, what, when, where, why and how with maybe some extra info added and throw in a few quotes and bam im finished. But the dang writing AP stlye that throws me off. Im starting to get better at it but there is all these little thing that have to be written a certain way. But I figure it will get easier over time and become second nature. My biggest challeng to come is I will be going to Iraq soon to do some photojournalism I should get some of the best images and most news worthy image in my career so far.

writing AP stlye that throws me off.

Is there a photojournalistic style of writing? This is new to me. Could you give us some more info on this style? Please? :)

My biggest challeng to come is I will be going to Iraq soon to do some photojournalism I should get some of the best images and most news worthy image in my career so far.

That is a big challenge! Incredibly scary and incredibly exciting! Stay safe!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back