I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently felt the urge to get back to a 24MP sensor and since im shooting Fuji now, that left a few options on the table. I really didn't want to spend much money, and fortunately, i didn't have to.
I considered a few different models that were reasonably budget friendly....I basically settled on an X-T100 as middle ground between the cheaper X-A5 and the slightly higher budget X-T20.
heres how it stacks up against my other Fuji's.

upon unboxing the X-T100, i immediately noticed it was smaller than I was expecting. i would say its actually a tad smaller than the X-E2, although not by much. the viewfinder is nice and gives it more of a DSLR feel than the X-E2's rangefinder shape. the 91pt autofocus system is pretty good. its snappy in low light, but struggles just a little with moving subjects compared to the X-E2. (not really an issue for me anymore) It does have a 24MP sensor, but it is the bayor sensor and not the x-trans sensor like the 16mp sensor in the X-E2. Again, not really a huge issue for me.

DSCF5038.JPG

The button placement is less sophisticated than the X-E2. its basically the same as the X-A1. it requires a bit more menu diving than the higher end models, but its not terrible. Given that I do all staged shots now its really a non issue.
DSCF5039.JPG

It has a touchscreen display and bluetooth. i have it paired with my phone and with the fuji app i can use my phone as a remote or i can transfer photos when away from wifi. marginally useful i guess.

Overall, i would say im relatively pleased. i probably would have liked an X-T20 or higher model better, but I also would have had to spend more money. I guess my final consensus is that if your looking for a budget friendly Fuji camera that offers a newer 24mp sensor, the X-T100 isnt a bad way to go. I got this brand new with the 15-45 OIS PZ kit lens for less than $500. (ill probably sell the kit lens)
For a little more cash the X-T20 has a button layout like the X-E2 and has the X-Trans III sensor if that appeals to you. My next upgrade might be to something a little beefier like the X-T2.

I have some portrait work lined up in a few weeks so ill have the chance to really see how I like the 24MP sensor compared to the 16MP ive been using. I suspect it will perform well.

I really LIKE the control layout on the X-E2.

I concur.
buuuuut...for as little money as I spent i cant complain.
honestly, my needs are pretty sparse as far as camera features go.
I wanted good AF in low light, which the T100 does. the AF is fast, and although i almost always use single point, the T100 has a decent grid system.
I haven't been able to do much testing yet, but even though its a bayor filtered sensor and not an x-trans, i expect the results from this 24mp sensor to be excellent.

the controls arent terrible either...
you can set the control wheels to do different things...theres three, plus a function button that defaults to ISO.
my left top wheel is ISO, right top wheel is SS, aperture is on the lens.

24 Mp on Bayer vs 16 Mp on X-Trans...I think you will see more resolution in most cases. Plus, you will probably have a little bit better raw conversions in LR with the Bayer array, esp. on fine, fine details.

ISO 3200 with no noise reduction. also reduced to under 2mb for uploading.
SS-60 f/2.4

ISO3200.JPG

ISO 6400, no noise reduction. SS60 f/2.8, exported for under 2mb file size

ISO6400.JPG

ISO 10000, SS100, f/2.4 no noise reduction, reduced file size in export.

ISO10000.JPG

ISO 10,000 with no NR looks good!

Nice results. And now you’ve got me thinking of buying a compact Fuji for my purse... damn GAS!

Seriously... what would you think of the XT100 with the 15-45 for a travel camera/2nd camera for when I have my loong zoom on the XT2? Can you take some landscape shots of it in Ireland and post them here? lol.

Seriously... what would you think of the XT100 with the 15-45 for a travel camera/2nd camera for when I have my loong zoom on the XT2? Can you take some landscape shots of it in Ireland and post them here? lol.

i already have the 18-55 f/2.8-4 so im probably going to sell the 15-45.
it IS a much smaller and lighter lens though. if you want, i can take a pic of the x-t100 with the 15-45 lens on it and u can see the actual size of the combo.

Oh boy! I do love my XC 50-230 for it's smallness and lightness... Now I am down the rabbit hole and looking at X100t, xf10, xt20.... I do prefer a viewfinder since I don't like to wear my glasses when I'm out walking/hiking. .. Xt20 is lighter and smaller than Xt100? Ugh! I have to get back to work, lol.

Oh boy! I do love my XC 50-230 for it's smallness and lightness... Now I am down the rabbit hole and looking at X100t, xf10, xt20.... I do prefer a viewfinder since I don't like to wear my glasses when I'm out walking/hiking. .. Xt20 is lighter and smaller than Xt100? Ugh! I have to get back to work, lol.

the X-T20 is indeed smaller and lighter, measuring 118.4x82.8x41.4mm and weighing 383g, including battery and card. The X-T100 is 121x83x 47.4mm and 448g including battery and card.
not much of a difference, but a difference none the less.
the x-t20 also uses the x-trans III sensor and the x-t100 uses a regular cmos sensor.
I have fujis with both an x-trans AND cmos sensor and i honestly cant tell the difference between the two after editing...(both are 16mp)

Most reactions

Back