Photo location recomendation: France, Belgium & Netherlands

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone knows of *special* photo locations in any of these countries.

We're definitely hitting up Paris, Ghent (Blegium) and Amsterdam but we are looking to explore a little bit as well. So if Jess my question is if anyone has any place in mind that is a must see/photo location.

Any info would be appreciated. We're leaving June 3rd and seriously can't wait.

Thanks

I think there is a pretty popular tower in Paris that people like to take photos of.

I think there is a pretty popular tower in Paris that people like to take photos of.

That one is pretty obvious. I'm looking for laces that may not be as well known. Maybe places in the rural parts for example.

Morning bump.

Curious to know if any one has any suggestions.

I know Varina Patel has a France e-book thats only a few bucks.

Last time I was in Paris though I just did the standard touristy stuff. Though you could prolly get some cool images at the Rhodan museum.

If you want good location steer clear of the cities, all the shots have been done thousands of times.

If i was going to Paris i would try and reproduce some of HCB's classics

That is a large part of the reason why I'm asking if anyone knows of other good locations, that they are willing to share of course, as I want to try and avoid the obvious. Wouldn't mind trying to find a hidden gem or two.
We planning to stay in Paris for a few days then we are heading off to the country side in Lower Normandy and renting a Gite. From there we plan on visiting a few locations of interest like Mont Saint Michel.
As for reproducing some of HCB's classics, you know, that would actually be pretty fun. It would give a great starting point and go from there.

In Paris the Left Bank is always good for people shots bu you need to get out in wine country and small villages, should be beautiful in June.

I will definitely keep that in mind, I will add it to the places to check out in Paris.
We wanted to try and get to wine country but it takes us in the opposite direction of where we are heading. That will have to be on another trip. But as mentioned above, we're taking your advice will be staying in countryside.

Last time I was in Paris though I just did the standard touristy stuff. Though you could prolly get some cool images at the Rhodan museum.

I'll definitely have to check that out.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

If you want good location steer clear of the cities, all the shots have been done thousands of times.

If i was going to Paris i would try and reproduce some of HCB's classics

That is a large part of the reason why I'm asking if anyone knows of other good locations, that they are willing to share of course, as I want to try and avoid the obvious. Wouldn't mind trying to find a hidden gem or two.
We planning to stay in Paris for a few days then we are heading off to the country side in Lower Normandy and renting a Gite. From there we plan on visiting a few locations of interest like Mont Saint Michel.
As for reproducing some of HCB's classics, you know, that would actually be pretty fun. It would give a great starting point and go from there.

In Paris the Left Bank is always good for people shots bu you need to get out in wine country and small villages, should be beautiful in June.

I will definitely keep that in mind, I will add it to the places to check out in Paris.
We wanted to try and get to wine country but it takes us in the opposite direction of where we are heading. That will have to be on another trip. But as mentioned above, we're taking your advice will be staying in countryside.

I'll definitely have to check that out.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Have you ever seen any of Denis Thorpes shots ? he is a fantastic photographer that used to work for the Gardian Denis Thorpe: Photographs 1950-2000 | Newsroom | guardian.co.uk, there are a few of his i would like to try a reproduce

You could shoot a series on cafe life in Paris

I think you're on to something. It's a great idea to have a few themes and try to work within them.

As for David Thorpes photos, I'll heck them out once I get home.

I sincerely thank you for your suggestions. They will definitely help.

Amsterdam is a very beautiful city, everywhere you turn, there is a photo waiting to happen. Any direction you take off the Damrack is going to lead you to something, and despite the crazy, bicycle wheel/spider web layout of Amsterdam, it's really easy to navigate and a very walk-able city. If you rent bikes, you can cover a LOT more ground. The parks are really picturesque, the Hortus Botanicus is great, the Zoo is top notch, for something odd to shoot, there is the Nemo Center. There is a great photo op out at the Rijksmuseum, shooting through the middle of it, back to the park that it backs up to. If you make it down to the Old Side (Oud-zuids), there are some stunning houses, and great little side streets to go up and down, and old money.

If you got into a Cafe series in France, it would be very easy to continue the project in Amsterdam. Cafe life is very prevalent in Amsterdam (not just the coffee house scene), but outside the brownhouses and Gin bars.

If you can't find stuff to shoot in Amsterdam, then there is a problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back