Photo magazine

rgregory1965

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What Photo magazine do you subscribe and why...

looking for a Magazine that will give tips, how-to, and examples....not just stuffed full of ads on gear.

The magazines that have tips and how-to guides are always stuffed with ads. I have not found the exception yet.

Really, the only magazine I've read that didn't have ads on every other page is B&W (and Color). Those are two (now one - merged) very good magazines - well worth the cost of subscription - but they have absolutely nothing in the way of how-to guides or gear reviews. They are 100% nice art and inspiration.

I just picked up a subscription on my tablet's Kindle app to Birds and Blooms magazine a couple days ago. I was reading through one at the hospital last week and decided I really needed to see each issue when it comes out.

Not photography-specific, but lots of great photos to inspire and give ideas, and tips to help with photographing birds and flowers. It's only $1 per issue, 6 issues per year.

I just picked up a subscription on my tablet's Kindle app to Birds and Blooms magazine a couple days ago. I was reading through one at the hospital last week and decided I really needed to see each issue when it comes out.

Not photography-specific, but lots of great photos to inspire and give ideas, and tips to help with photographing birds and flowers. It's only $1 per issue, 6 issues per year.

Sweet, i will have to look...I just got a Kindle Fire for fathers day...

british photo magazines are stupendous!!! they're chock full of information, and they don't push all the latest cameras and gear on you. the info that's crammed into each issue is equal to what you'd find in a entire book. problem is, they're expensive. you might end up paying $10+ for one mag (and $100+/year to subscribe), but it's well worth it, though. i only cross across them at places like barnes & noble—but you can find them online. go to amazon.com. my faves are: "photographer," "outdoor photographer," and "digital photography." i haven't seen "bbc photography" in years.

I haven't looked at a Brit mag in over two years. Unless they have toned back the ads, it was horrible and why I quit reading them. Not much left anymore accept for those online mags and various photographer's websites where they decided that such information was invaluable and posted there own mini-libraries. As to printed magazines without ads, well, their being printed means they need advertisers. I know of no such publication. They're ALL flooded with ads and reviews, unfortunately.

I don't subscribe to any photography magazines, but I do read a few each month at my local Library.

US photo magazines pretty much suck.

Most of the articles are just infomercials, and even then they start repeating after about 14 months. Just long enough to try and suck you into a second subscription.

I get Rangefinder, which is geared towards studio owners, and as one of the perks look forward to getting regularly that is included with my years long NAPP membership, is Photoshop User magazine.

Photography News | Imaging and Photography Magazine - Rangefinder

Learn Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Digital Photography | NAPP

I found Peterson's "Photo Graphic" is a good magazine for the novice in me. The one I currently have is Mastering Techniques: Flash, B&W, creative projects.

Recently I have come across a magazine called "c't digital photography"
Has very few ads and there are no short articles - all of them are detailed, in depth and informative.
Serious articles.
My only issue with them is their wonderful "subscription savings" - save on the actual issues but when they want to delivery it to me in Australia it works out costing me quite a bit more than I can buy it from my local magazine shop!!! UK/Europe/American subscribers may be lot better off - but seems like shipping to the Australia is akin to ISS
Anyway, I have now got my local shop to put aside each issue for me (no shipping costs - go figure)

I get both Shutterbug and Outdoor Photography on my Kindle Fire. I find that they are both chock-full of ads, and honestly, I often feel like many of the articles are really just ads disguised as articles. But on the other hand, it's not even $3 per month to subscribe to both of them.

I like Shutterbug best for the articles, and Outdoor Photography best for the photos.

Also--these are simply the first two I found on Kindle that I thought looked like they were worth trying. I haven't checked out some of the others (although I think I'll check into that B&W and Color one, I've heard really good things about it).

sm4him said:
I get both Shutterbug and Outdoor Photography on my Kindle Fire. I find that they are both chock-full of ads, and honestly, I often feel like many of the articles are really just ads disguised as articles. But on the other hand, it's not even $3 per month to subscribe to both of them.

I like Shutterbug best for the articles, and Outdoor Photography best for the photos.

Also--these are simply the first two I found on Kindle that I thought looked like they were worth trying. I haven't checked out some of the others (although I think I'll check into that B&W and Color one, I've heard really good things about it).

Outdoors isn't bad, but I find shutterbug too ad heavy. National Geographic and GQ very nice magazines.

IByte said:
Outdoors isn't bad, but I find shutterbug too ad heavy. National Geographic and GQ very nice magazines.

I find them just the opposite but they are both decent mags for the money. I find that Shutterbug has more "how to" articles.

None. We have a couple of good news stands here. I pickup the magazine(s) that have articles that interest me that particular month.

HughGuessWho said:
I find them just the opposite but they are both decent mags for the money. I find that Shutterbug has more "how to" articles.

GQ has their share of ads, NG has few ads, and I do find some of shutter's tutorials helpful but seeing all these camera frames, packs, special viewfinder adapters distracting.

Most reactions

Back