What's new

Photo of my GTI - Critique

Steemax

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, I took this shot today after I washed and waxed my car... I thought it came out good especially with the reflection of the greenery on the car.
Than again I've only been shooting for a month now so I really don't know what constitutes a good car photography.

Give me your worst! Shot with Sony a6000 with Sigma 30mm F2.8
Settings: Raw format, Shot in aperture priority wide open at 2.8. 1/500.

$DSC00550_zpsb9f9e3c7.jpg~original.webp
 
Alright, here we go. This might get longwinded, but stick with me here. I can see the basic idea for composition, getting the headlight and VW logo in there. That can work, but it needs to be straighter. I know, this could have been on a road and the camera could have been level for this, but make the car level in the shot and it will look a lot better. Also, try it from dead on to the headlight instead of at an angle from the left (take a big sidestep right). Second, the location is probably one of the worst possible for a highly reflective, clean car. you're right next to something with a lot of detail that reflects in the car. Those reflections make it look (NO OFFENSE) like a snapshot. Next time, either park it next to a blah, white building devoid of detail or anything interesting for this one, or put it in an empty ish parking lot with an interesting background, so long as the car's not next to anything. Keep trying, chief. It's a good start, particularly if you've only been shooting for a month.
 
Alright, here we go. This might get longwinded, but stick with me here. I can see the basic idea for composition, getting the headlight and VW logo in there. That can work, but it needs to be straighter. I know, this could have been on a road and the camera could have been level for this, but make the car level in the shot and it will look a lot better. Also, try it from dead on to the headlight instead of at an angle from the left (take a big sidestep right). Second, the location is probably one of the worst possible for a highly reflective, clean car. you're right next to something with a lot of detail that reflects in the car. Those reflections make it look (NO OFFENSE) like a snapshot. Next time, either park it next to a blah, white building devoid of detail or anything interesting for this one, or put it in an empty ish parking lot with an interesting background, so long as the car's not next to anything. Keep trying, chief. It's a good start, particularly if you've only been shooting for a month.

Wow, thank you for the extensive tips! Greatly appreciated it. All the things you mentioned never even crossed my mind, just goes to show I have a lot to learn still and my ideas for composition are no where near where I want them. You're also right about the angle, it was shot on my drive way which is on a slope, I'm going to give this shot another try with the tips you have given me and lets see how it goes!

Thanks!
 
Post it up when you get it, looking forward to it. :)
 
The shot is illy composed. there's a lot of weight to the right of the frame for no reason. I personally don't like seeing cars cropped, at all, unless there's a reason--like a detail shot.

the reflection of the greenery is distracting, not a compliment. You want to highlight smooth/clean lines, the reflection is distracting and doesn't show off the extended fender of the GTI. It's also casting a yellow/green hue on only half the car.

The hood is completely washed out from the direct sunlight.

The horizon line needs to be leveled off; the car appears leaning in the frame.



Car photography is very tough. You have a boring object that you need to make look good. you have to think of all the reflections, and all the light challenges, as well as creating an interesting frame/composition.

Like here's a really cool car: Car Wallpapers - Part 58

But with maybe the exception of one, none of these images do anything for me. So even the coolest of cars need help.



Compare these two shots:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/08/06-2013-chevrolet-camaro-1le-fd.jpg

and

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadt...013-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-1LE-front-profile.jpg

Same car--very similar shots--but one is MUCH more successful than the other.

The one that is more successful used a longer focal length, so the background is compressed and narrow, and the car looks more attractive and less bloated.

It was shot lower down so the horizon line is visible.

It's using a short DOF so the car pops out against the BG.

There's no distracting lighting/reflections on either, in fact the lighting is VERY similar, but the better image took more care in smoothing/evening out the panels and putting emphasis on the highlights (look at the hood and headlights).

Both have fairly plain scenes they are in, both one makes more sense: it's sitting on a track. The other is sitting in what looks like a park; boring.

The better shot also put the image through post and richened the blacks, and added a color cast that gave it a good feel.


There's a big difference between these two similar shots. One screams snapshot, like yours. The other screams: Hey, I put some thought behind this. The first thing I thought of when I saw your shot was that you were trying to sell the tow hook on a forum, because you realized a street car doesn't need to be pulled out of a sandtrap very often...
 
Last edited:
I understand the impulse to catch the reflections, but in this case, the shrubbery seems almost incidental.

If you're going to show that particular reflection, make it really stand out. Position the car so more of the shrubbery is reflected, and don't try to make it a "car shot".
 
They have covered a great critique above and all good things to absorb. I just wanted to say that I am new as well and only been shooting since March and I have learned a great deal from this site and others. Keep shooting and posting and with the good attitude you have you will learn a lot more and start to see more of the finer points of photography.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom