Photo Prints

Koshua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Where do you guys get your photos printed/framed? I have people that want to purchase photos for their business and homes, but I don't really know where to start. Can you guys help?

I've been researching, and it seems as if acrylic printing is the top of the line. I want the best looking frameless print for the most affordable price. The most typical sizes I'll be printing at is 20"x30" and 16"x24".

Do you guys have any recommendations for any methods/online companies?

When asking for this sort of help, you need to say where in the world you are.

For printing, I do my own and supply cheap plastic frames - I expect customers to arrange their own quality frames to suit their decor.

When asking for this sort of help, you need to say where in the world you are.

For printing, I do my own and supply cheap plastic frames - I expect customers to arrange their own quality frames to suit their decor.
Whoops, thought I had location on. Wisconsin!

How long do you want the prints to last?

If you want very long lasting prints the mounting/framing materials need to be changed as the air contaminates and degrades the print.
The mounting and framing techniques used my museums provides the longest print life.

Good mounting/framing is not inexpensive.
Inkjet prints made on media like acrylic or metal that have little or no tooth have to be printed using UV cured inks/dyes.
To keep costs down the less expensive UV cured inks/dyes are used so color fastness and print longevity suffer.
Note: 'tooth' is the surface texture. Inks often adhere poorly to media that are extremely smooth - with very little tooth.

I bought mounting/framing parts and assembled them myself. Mainly because most of my prints required custom size framing and I wanted maximum control of the workmanship.

There are buttloads of online outlets that can do what you want and in a variety of price ranges.
Mpix
Nations Lab
Black River
Adorama Pix
H&H Color Lab
yada, yada, yada.

Last edited:
I frame everything my self. Generally I get the frames from one of the big box craft stores (Michaels, Blick etc. Im not sure whats local to you out there). All of the stores near me also custom cut mats if I need something non standard. Generally I can get a nice metal frame for under 50$ and a mat is anywhere from 5$ for a pre cut one to 25$ for a custom cut situation (color and look dependent). All the stores also offer custom framing but I have never used the services, the stuff I have seen people pick up while I am there looks great.

As for printing I have used Costco a few times with some good results. I have even printed a few poster sized things that came out really nicely. Other than that there is a local photo shop here in Philly that does really high quality work and gets most of my business these days, their prices are very fair considering they are a small shop in a city. I would poke around on google maps and see if there is anything local to you. A search for "photo" or "camera shop" may reveal some results.

Regards
Dave

I used to go to Adorama, but now I got a Espon Artisan 1430...LOVE IT!

Online, highly recommend Nations Photo Lab. Always had good quality and service. Last order had some 16x20's on mat board that the corner got bent when the shipping box got crushed. Not only did they replace them without a peep, they processed by the next day and shipped them out FedEx next day delivery all at no charge.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back