Photographer for a day....

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Helped a friend get some shots for her a class project a few weekends ago. This was my first photoshoot of posed models as I've mostly focused on animals, buildings, etc. Just wanted to share a few and see what comments you all have. I'll post more when I have more time. I'm already late for dinner :wink:

53634514.jpg

53634509.jpg

53634505.jpg

53634500.jpg

53634497.jpg

gooorgeous.. i particular like 2,4,5 usayit. these are really nice. wonderful expression in the last one, i like the black and white rendition of number 2.

number 4 would be my favourite, only the black guy in the background is a bit dark with a partial shadow on his face, if you could bring him out more so you can see his eyes this would be an awesome shot. He's got a great smile, and i like her expression too. both personalities shine through. Its a very casual fun picture, this is a great yearbook shot!

please share more if you have them!

The second and the last one are my faves :) You did a good job all around.

I love the 'casualy movie star pose' she's in for number three.

4 is good. But I wish she was looking at the camera because the guy in the back looks like he is. IMO of course :)

Good stuff. It's nice to have your fave subjects but maybe you should explore this aspect a little more. My suggestion.

I liked them all. #1 is awesome. #2 has more than one subject in the same frame. A bust out-crop from #2 would really soar. The Afro-American has a nice pleasant expression. A tight crop of him would be nice photo also.

You have good exposure control. Your camera does a fine job.

You have a lovely friend.

More shots of the second model in the photo shoot.

Thanks for all your comments! Turned out a lot better than expected. I had an absolute blast that day. Working with models was a welcomed experience. There's a whole different set of dynamics to work with.

53721241.jpg

53721238.jpg

53721236.jpg

53721233.jpg

WOW! I'm impressed. A bit of PhotoShop application and you could have perfection.

usayit, how old are you?
What camera/lens are you using?

I look forward to seeing more of your work

Dude you rock.

I want my boyfriend to take pictures of me like that! I'm going to show him :)

I'm 18 with an old manual Canon 35mm. I'm joking... sometimes, I wish were 18 and heading to college again...

Ah.. I see now... The models' ages might make it seem like I'm very young. Actually, the friend that I speak of is the step daughter of a former mentor/coworker that I worked under when I was working my way through college. She's studying Fashion Marketing or something like that.

I'm actually 28. Started shooting friends and family stuff with my father's Minolta 7000 Maxxum back in high school. I ended up stealing it... um... "borrowing it" for the next 3 years in college. I got sucked into the whole APS snafu and purchased a Canon IX lite just before graduation. Got smart and traded the IX in for an Elan IIe and used the 22-55mm lens that came with the IX. My bag has:

Manfrotto 3021 Shorty w/ 3259 center column/monopod w/ 3262QR ball
Elan IIe
D30
Canon 50mm f1.8 ( nice older version with metal mount )
Canon 85mm f1.8 ( very sharp prime )
Canon 22-55mm f4.5-5.6 ( the orig IX lens )
Canon 70-210mm constant f4 ( 1987ish oldie but goodie )
Tamron 35-105mm constant f2.8 w/ 2x teleconverter
Canon 420EX speedlight

The shoot is 35mm and digital combination. Mostly with the Tamron and 85mm lens with the 420EX for fill. I absolutely love that Tamron. I carry it on-body while on the go.

Now I list it all out, looks like a lot of equipment. I found several "Nikonish" stores that push Nikon heavily to their clients. I've raided their used Canon counter several times for the purpose of making a few bucks on ebay. Naturally, a few lenses won me over and ended up in my bag. Almost everything is used.

This was my first photoshoot of posed models

:shock:
great shots , usayit!

my fav: #1, #2, #5 and #8 :)

#2 has more than one subject in the same frame

i agree, but it doesn't bother me here -;)))

#6 - great portrait - but there's one irritating detail -> that's 'yellow something' on girl's blue shirt -;(
#7 - another great portrait - im just not sure about the background....maybe there's too much of it...?
i think i would crop it a bit from both sides and from the bottom too

:)
hey, you should take more portraits, usayit - you have a really 'good hand' for it! -;)))))

I really like the 1st pic in the second group you posted but they are all nice.

Nice stuff! It looks like the girls enjoyed it, too.

One thing I would suggest trying is using a reflector, especially on sunny days. It's helps reduce harsh shadows when in the full sun, and brings some pop into pics that are taken in the shade.

Most reactions

Back