Photographers assistant

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got on offer yesterday while I was working, from a friend that I met when I first got started in photography, we met at a cousins party and talked for a few hours about stuff and I actually learned alot in those few hours. I didn't see him for about a year until yesterday when he came in and saw I was working in the photography store. He was happy that I was working there and told me he is allways looking for assistans at weddings and stuff like that. I told him I'd love to do it for free just so I could learn. He told me he would pay me even though I don't know much about wedding shoots! So anyways.. to my question.. how do assistants normally get payed, percentage? By the day? Hour? What's average? He does alot of large weddings I think. So anyways, thanks guys!

Around here it is USD100-150. Some photographers will also give the tip to the assistants or sometimes they share the tips. It differs with each photographer/area.

But do not worry about the pay. He/she is actually paying you for you to learn! If you are interested in wedding photography, it would be nice to watch the photographer at work and get the feel of the hectic day.

What ever you do; do not work for free. The work is generally tough and the hours are long. I know nothing of wedding photography. Home Fashions was my gig at the time. 100 dollars a day sounds right, but I did not do a whole lot of freelance assistant work. As a studio assistant I was making upwards of 12 dollars an hour. That was close to 15 years ago.

As much as I hated being an assistant... The experience was priceless.

Most reactions

Back